Need Help with a CANAL EARPHONE DECISION WITH IPOD!!!
Jul 2, 2005 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

xand1x

500+ Head-Fier
Greetings, I recently purchased a 60 GIG IPOD PHOTO and I was wondering what headphones would be a good matchup for this player. I was thinking more along the lines of Shure e3c, e4c Ety 4P/S or Westone UM2's. I have been reading alot about the UM2's recently and alot of people state that they are better than the flagship Shure E5's! However, I had also been considering whether it is worth it to spend $300+ on canalphones for an ipod (will the headphones be driven properly in an umamped setup + ipod)! Please help me decide on what headphone is best for this setup!

Jul 2, 2005 at 8:40 PM Post #2 of 16
What sort of music will you be listening to?
How do you like your presentation? fast and accurate vs warm and bassy?
what is your budget?
what quality is your music encoded at?

Jul 2, 2005 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 16
Personally I listen to alot of rap/rock/dance/jungle..or "bass heavy" music. My budget is roughly $350US. 90% of my music is encoded at 192KBPS and I would prefer more of a warm sounding canalphone.

Jul 2, 2005 at 9:17 PM Post #4 of 16
The "is it worth it" question is very personal. To me it is worth every penny. I enjoy my music so much more when I hear it in detail. But many (most) think its crazy to spend that kind of money on a portable headphone. I use my e4c's most at the gym & they are priceless there. They block out the other noises & just make that time very enjoyable - both for the workout & a time to enjoy my music. There is a huge difference in quality between these types of phones & stock ones. As far as an IPOD driving them w/out an amp -- don't worry it will be fine. Now which phone is best matched for an IPOD & your specific tastes will be something to research.
good luck~!

Jul 2, 2005 at 9:27 PM Post #5 of 16
Yeah, only you can answer the "is it worth it" question. Some people spend $1000 on their portable rigs, and some people think that a $40 Sony EX71 is good enough.

I'd suggest the SuperFi headphones if you think you want bass energy. The Etymotics are lean sounding but are very clear and sparkling. The Shure E4C would be somewhere in the middle

Jul 2, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #6 of 16
You know I think its interesting that people would think that its a waste to spend money on portables. I listen to my portable more than I do anything else! I'm probly the only 40 something woman walking around the grocery store with my shures in my ears -- but hey whatever makes us happy huh???
rs1smile.gif

Jul 2, 2005 at 9:31 PM Post #7 of 16
Agreed. Personally considering the amount of music I have, it is worth it! I have narrowed my selection down to the e4c or UM2...

Jul 2, 2005 at 9:49 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by xand1x
Agreed. Personally considering the amount of music I have, it is worth it! I have narrowed my selection down to the e4c or UM2...

I just upgraded from e3c to e4c for my iPod Mini (my gym rig). Judging by your music prefernces I wouldn't suggest any of Etys or either e3c or e4c, especially latter. In your price range I think you'll be better served by something more "bassy" like e5c or UM2. Going down in price super.fi pro 5 or even E2c could fit the bill.

Jul 3, 2005 at 1:39 AM Post #10 of 16
orphsmile.gif
Thanks everyone for your help..I appreciate it I just ordered the UM2's off ebay, cant wait to get em!!!! <3 Head-fi community

Jul 3, 2005 at 8:10 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by micaela
You know I think its interesting that people would think that its a waste to spend money on portables. I listen to my portable more than I do anything else! I'm probly the only 40 something woman walking around the grocery store with my shures in my ears -- but hey whatever makes us happy huh???
rs1smile.gif

Off topic but how the hell do you do grocery shopping with canal phones on? I tried twice recently and I found it impossible. I couldn't concentrate well enough to find anything and I kept bumping into things.

Jul 5, 2005 at 4:36 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinny
Off topic but how the hell do you do grocery shopping with canal phones on? I tried twice recently and I found it impossible. I couldn't concentrate well enough to find anything and I kept bumping into things.

Lol -- I don't know -- I guess I just go on auto-pilot & pick up what I need! And I don't listen to anything too distracting - some nice relaxing jazz!
orphsmile.gif

Jul 5, 2005 at 4:53 AM Post #14 of 16
Now that my UM2's have a few (80+) hours on them I can whole heartedly recommend them for use straight out of the ipod. You may not like them when you receive them, be sure and give them some time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back