need help with 802d's
Sep 29, 2009 at 1:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

saleencobra

New Head-Fier
just picked up a pair of 802d's.they are not blowing me away like i was expecting.i am using a rotel preamp and adcom7850 to power them. i am thinking the adcom is going to take the blame but i wanted some other opions

Sep 29, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 10
how's your room setup? that will have a MUCH bigger impact on acoustics, unless the amp is severely underpowered

Sep 29, 2009 at 10:30 AM Post #4 of 10
Don't take this the wrong way but your electronics are SEVERELY under par for your speakers and power has little to do with this. What you have is a system similar to running an $2,000 headphone out of the headphone jack on your computer...generally tolerable but not involving.

It is amazing how many shops sell people Rotel with these things.
frown.gif

Take a look at some BAT VK250/VK32SE, McIntosh 2102/C2300, Electrocompaniet, or Levinson. These are all great matches for your speakers and are comparable to their performance.

Sep 29, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #5 of 10
I agree with the above. The speakers are wonderful and they are simply letting you know everything that is going on up the chain. McIntosh and Classe are wonderful with the B&W speakers, and are worth checking out.

Sep 29, 2009 at 11:09 AM Post #6 of 10
While I can agree with the above, I wouldn't be advising spending big bucks on upfront components without knowing more about the speakers placement, room characteristics and any acoustical ancillaries. Big speakers are very hard to set up and the room is very frequently the weakest link, which can't be fixed by using "better" amps, sources or wires.

Sep 29, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #8 of 10
In the end, both camps are right. Good speakers only reproduce what is fed to them, so quality ancillary components are critical. However, poor room acoustics or speaker placement can severely degrade the sound put out by the speakers, regardless of upstream components.

That is what makes headphone listening so great. One potential pitfall in music reproduction - the room - is taken out of the equation.

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #9 of 10
There is another thing - B&W speakers are not designed to be flashy. They are designed to be natural sounding. They do not give you that 30 second "boom boom tweet tweet" kind of impression, but rather they will thrill over the very long term as they deliver music in a very natural way.

Also, they require at least 150 hours of break in before they will sound as they should, if you bought them new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back