Need help! Which one should I get for my father's birthday?
Mar 15, 2009 at 12:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

DC5Zilla

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, I currently own ER4P and usually listen to them straight from my ipod. My father is showing an interest on the sound quality I get from this portable and I think it will be a great idea to buy a quality headphone for his next birthday which is coming up in April. I asked him couple questions and came out with a list of things he would like.

1. Full-sized headphone is good!
2. little to no isolation so he could hear phone calls
3. Prefer no sound leak but open type is fine. Is it possible to have both little isolation and no sound leak?
confused_face(1).gif

4. Needs to be pretty comfy. We went to local grado dealer to try out the 60/80/225s but he didn't like any of them due to the padding.
5. Must sound great straight from laptop/playstation portable. He prefer not to use any kinds of amplifiers.
6. He listens to practically everything with exception of heavy rocks. He don't like very bassy sounds.

Price Budget ~$300

I'm currently thinking of ultrasone 2500 because someone here on forum said they don't need amp. I was originally planning about k701/HD600 but I guess you definately needs amp to power them up. Grado SR225 sounded also good but he didn't like the ergonomics of grados.

I will appreciate any kinds of suggestion!!
smile.gif

Mar 15, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #6 of 12
As.we.proceed, cswann1, thank you for the reply!! I just checked the ATH-AD700's on the official websites. Sounds pretty nice!! I was quite astounded by the price on amazon with $84
smily_headphones1.gif

Are there any other candidate?

Mar 15, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #8 of 12
I'd recommend the AD700. My K701 sounded fine to me straight out of my laptop, but they require more volume to reach the same level as the AD700, and their termination in a 1/4" jack creates an unneeded hassle. The AD700, on the other hand, end in a 1/8" jack, have plenty of volume, and to me, offer a richer, more enveloping sound.

Mar 15, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #9 of 12
>Acix
RS-1 is well over my budget
frown.gif

do all grados feel(ergonomically) the same?

Mar 15, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #10 of 12
>Oggranak
I can't find the AD900 on the website... is it discontinued? I guess I will have to search a little deeper into it

Mar 15, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #12 of 12
I just did some little research and it seems that it works great even without amps!! Price did increase by about $200 but thats fine with me! And indeed the color makes them 4x better looking to me
smily_headphones1.gif

I think I'm decided. Thank you to everyone who chimed in to help me out! I hope my dad will enjoy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back