Need Help! Which One? Sennheiser Momentum Wireless or Audeze EL-8 (Closed back)?
Feb 15, 2015 at 3:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

passionforroxk

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I need some suggestion here! I am looking for a pair of headphones for my girlfriend as a gift for her valentine's day and her upcoming birthday.

I am currently eyeing on the new Audeze EL-8 (closed) or the new Sennheiser momentum wireless(over-ear), but both the headphones are kinda new and there is not many reviews or information available on the internet. I also don't have any chance to personally audition the headphones too. YOU GUYS ARE MY LAST HOPE!!!

So I will be so happy if someone who has tried/owned or owns these headphones can give me some advice!!! 

Here is some facts, hope these would help:

- The headphones will be used mostly indoor and on-the-go/uni's library, she doesn't mind wearing big headphones so the size is probably out of the equation.

- She does not have any high-end AMP or DAC, but I have a RWAK240 that she hoards all the time so I guess I can say the headphones will have at least a somewhat decent source

- We have similar taste in terms of music, everything except rap/hip hop. I think her favourite genres are folk, country, classic and classical rocks, so I think warm vocal/mid and smooth treble responses would be prefect.

- I bought her an older version of Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear before. She likes its sound and the looks a lot but she didn't like the fit, I think it is because her ears stick out too much and therefore touched the inner ear pads which causes the discomforts after a long listening. However, I am not sure if this issue will be resolved with the larger ear cups of the new Momentums.

- I don't think comfort will be a problem with the Audeze EL-8. However, I have no idea how these sounds or what kind of sound signature does the EL-8 has and thereby no sure if this will be the right choice.

Any help or idea is highly appreciated!!!

beerchug.gif

Ash

Feb 15, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #3 of 4
  The Audeze EL-8 won't be released for a month or more.

Yah, and the sennheiser momentum wireless will be released in Australia in March as well. I am not in a rush for buying either one of them. I just hope someone who have bought the Senn Momentum wireless in U.S or tried the EL-8 at CES could help me a bit here

:)

Mar 10, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #4 of 4

Yah, and the sennheiser momentum wireless will be released in Australia in March as well. I am not in a rush for buying either one of them. I just hope someone who have bought the Senn Momentum wireless in U.S or tried the EL-8 at CES could help me a bit here

:)

I haven't heard either, but I'll just give my biased suggestion.
It looks like the EL-8 might possibly be a class leader, and planar magnets are known to sound very good for listening and stuff.
It also has an incredibly low amount of distortion, and it seems that everyone who's tried them loves them.
Also, wireless always has a negative effect on the sound.  Always.  It also makes it cost more.  I'd just stick with cables, even if you're on the go.
I'd say try to do a bit of research yourself.  The Momentums were designed to be ultra-portable, which doesn't seem to be your number one priority.  I'd say the EL-8's portability would be good enough, but think about your priorities.  I'd say go on some kind of forum that has a bunch of people who have tried one or the other, and try to figure out what they'd generally sound like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back