Need help: what is the right deep BASS in-ear phone among: Super.fi 5EB | Atrio M5 | Denon AH-C751
Jul 30, 2008 at 4:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

downbc1

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I am a BASS freak.
I have shortlisted the following 3 canal in-ear phones based on deep extreme bass in order of my preference:
1) FutureSonicAtrio M5 (or M8 - I read only color differs)
2)Denon AH-C751
3)Ultimate Ears UE Super.Fi 5EB

Some how I am not comfortable with the bulky size of UE SuperFi5 EB coz it makes me look like wearing a cheap hearing aid!

Which of these IEMs has best bass with texture +
not sound muddy +
wider sound stage +
warmth and decent clarity at high end frequencies?

I plan to spend about 170$

Can you help me decide on which of these IEMs to buy?
Suggestions to add deep bass earphones that are not in my list of three earphones are welcome
smile.gif

Thanks in advance

Jul 31, 2008 at 9:20 AM Post #2 of 13
To my ears, the Denon's have tight, punchy bass, but the treble can get a bit bright and fatiguing after a while.

The Atrios have awesome bass, it goes really deep with excellent detail. The sub-bass is as close to sub-woofers as you can get with portable earphones
biggrin.gif
The treble has just the right amount of sparkle, and the sound is fairly wide and spacious.

In my opinion, you really couldn't go wrong with either the Denons or the Atrios, but I preferred the slightly laid back, less aggressive sound of the Atrios.

Aug 1, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #4 of 13
I'd stay away from the 5EBs if I were you. Especially if you like sub bass... it's exaggerated mid bass.. very punchy and very annoying to my ears when I had them.

Oct 11, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #7 of 13
I bought atrios.
I earlier owned ety er-6i and after they died bought sennheiser cx300 before I decided on atrios.

I really wanted loads of bass and less high end details.
I realized atrio m5s are not for me.

I am looking forward to sell atri m5 (unopened) for US 165$ including Express shipping.

Oct 11, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #8 of 13
wow, atrios still doesnt fulfill your bass requirement? how bout JVC FX500? i suggest u stay after from IEM as they not capable of producing really deep bass as good as dynamic driver.

have u consider an amp?

Oct 11, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #9 of 13
Atrios does use dynamic drivers. In fact it's Futuresonics proprietary dynamic driver.
If you were not satisfied with the Atrio's bass, like toughnut said and I think what he meant was, you better stay away from IEMs and canalphones in general and stick to full size cans (and the Atrio's bass will even beat some of those).

Oct 12, 2008 at 10:12 AM Post #11 of 13
My player is Cowon D2 and I have set the eq settings for low frequencies at maximum and turned eq lelvels down for the higher frequencies(>8Khz)

One of the m5 earphones generated very slight slight noise while playing bass thumps at volume levels close to 14.
I really found that the so called bloated sennheiser cx300 to give better bass for me(though not as clear as atrio).

I am not a fan of highs, I find them irritating and uncomfortable to listen for long duration.

The only thing that saved me is that I did not open the box, I had oppurtunity to listen to my friend's earphones (that had over 100 hours of break-in) before my atrios arrived.

Oct 26, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #13 of 13
the problem is your D2. i tested UM2 on Sony S639 and found out that D2 actually have some SERIOUS bass rolloff.

S639 really show the problem clearly compare to other players i have, ie older Sony DAPs, N95, Muzio, etc. i can assume S639 doesnt have bass rolloff.

imho, if u found the IEM doesnt have the BASS and u are using D2, try the IEM on other DAP before u decide to sell it. High chance the problem lies on D2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back