Need help w/my GS-1000's; which wine?
Sep 16, 2007 at 6:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Torula Yeast

100+ Head-Fier
[Wasn't sure whether to post this in the Headphones forum or the Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories forum, so I split the difference and posted it here. Mods, feel free to move this thread if either or another forum would be more appropriate.]

So, as my sig line shows, I recently made the plunge and purchased a pair of Grado's top o' the line woodies (which allowed me to rightly exclaim to my wife, "I've got wood!", to which she replied, "So soon in the month?", but that's another story.
frown.gif
). Anyhoo, with my previous pair of Grados, the 325i's, I'd been content to use Gallo Paisano wine, but now I'm thinking it's time to upgrade. Question is, to what?

First of all, I'm aware that red wine is supposed to go well with the Grados, tempering their perceived brightness, adding more warmth and depth of tone. Not that I've noticed this with the Gallo, but then I figure this is something I might hear with a higher quality red. And if red, which one? Cabernet? Merlot? Or is it true that drinking a wine spelled with an unpronounced consonant will create too great a roll off in the treble range? Mind you, I want to enhance the GS-1k's, but not alter their character outright.

Yet another school of thought posits that white wines actually offers a more advantageous synchronicity with the Grado line. The reasoning being that the whites' ability to deliver more detail and soundstage both compliments and tweaks the GS-1k's sound signature. Here, I must admit to not having done much research at all. Would it be better to match the dryness of a chardonnay to the GS-1k's fuller sound at lower volume levels, or go with a semi-dry Riesling to compliment the driver housings' warm mahogany aroma?

I know still others swear by a good port. This seems kind of heavy, if not outright antiquated, to me, but I do read about how a fine port trades off Grados' analytical tendencies for more of a rich "feel" in the tonality. While I certainly don't tend towards a port, I'm open to arguments supporting its responsiveness with my woodies.

And of course, there's the whole French, Italian, Californian, or Washington question; do I want a European sound, or a sound with a decidedly West Coast tint? You can see my confusion, no?
confused.gif

Of course, I also know I might be overanalyzing this whole thing. After all, it's not like I'm unhappy with the Gallo I'm currently using. With it, I'm getting the detail I crave, with a nice bottom end and a sense of spatiality that from time to time allows me to be unable to believe I'm not listening to speakers.

So, there's my dilemma. Any help will be surely appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back