Need help w/ 1st tube amp....
Jul 13, 2008 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

raffy

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to purchase my first tube amp (first full-size/desktop amp too). I'm currently running my Predator w/ my ALO780J and ALO K701. My sources will be an iMod and possibly the Predator DAC. I listed to a good variety of music, hard rock, classic rock, house, chill and a little hip-hop too.

Don't get me wrong, the Predator is an excellent amp but I want to venture into full sized amps, I'm sure they have much more to offer, esp. in terms of soundstage and overall impact.

Right now, I feel like I am getting great sound out of my gear but my K701 feels a little underpowered and undelwhelming and cold, especially with bassy music. I've heard that a good desktop amp will greatly improve the K701. On the other hand, I am very pleased w/ the ALO780J, it has great synergy w/ the Predator, the only thing I want is a little more micro-detail.

Anyway, I am considering the following amps:
RSA Raptor
Woo WA6 (stock or MAX)
Singlepower MPX3
(I'm open to others)

I am looking to get to the "next level" sound-wise. However, I am mainly interested in obtaining larger/wider soundstage and detail. I've read numerous reviews of the said amps but I wanted to see what you guys think.

Jul 13, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #2 of 18
I'm in the same Situation like you for about some months. I was thinking about the Darkvoice 336, LittleDots which were in my perfect price range in the beginning. But a few weeks ago I realised that now is the time to finally order an amp and I was diving into the whole story again, realizing that I can afford a bit more than these DVs and LDs. The x-can v8 and the Woo 6 were really interesting and I decided on ordering the Woo. I read some more threads specially about the Woo6 and mods for it, where I realized a post by Roam who pointed to a problem with the Woo, where they used a too big capacitor for the tubes. People argued that it doesn't really matter because it is not a high gain amp and so on and I don't know what to think about that - and to be honestly: It doesn't matter to me. Roam mentioned a few amps that in his opinion are designed really well and one of them was this Trafomatic Experience Head One. From what I know now about it, it should be really great (especially for that price) and well made with high-quality components. Next week I'll be able to afford one and then I'll order one.

Jul 14, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #4 of 18
c'mon, there's gotta be more suggestions out there!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #5 of 18
Darkvoice 337, the soon to be released Little Dot Mk VI come to mind. Both offer two similar kicks at the proverbial can (
smily_headphones1.gif
) One being fully balanced while the other being dual mono single ended. Both are in the 700 US price range. Means a re cable of the 701's, but the advantages for the 701's going balanced from a beefy amp are myriad.

Peete.

Jul 15, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Darkvoice 337, the soon to be released Little Dot Mk VI come to mind. Both offer two similar kicks at the proverbial can (
smily_headphones1.gif
) One being fully balanced while the other being dual mono single ended. Both are in the 700 US price range. Means a re cable of the 701's, but the advantages for the 701's going balanced from a beefy amp are myriad.

Peete.

The little dot mk VI would have been nice if it have single-ended jacks too!

Jul 15, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by third_eye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RSA Raptor and Woo 6SE are good choices, I have a silver Raptor on order. You may want to read carefully through the current Singlepower thread before considering those......

Whys that?
After waiting a few months the amp comes from Mikhail.
the wait time does not have any effect on the fact that it sounds great. If it was not worth it for some reason, nobody would.

You could also buy the one in the used section, save a ton of cash, and have it in a week or so.

Jul 15, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whys that?
the wait time does not have any effect on the fact that it sounds great. If it was not worth it for some reason, nobody would.

You could also buy the one in the used section, save a ton of cash, and have it in a week or so.

Except that for many people the wait has not been months at all; it would seem far more serious than that. Again, I suggest reading through the thread. You are correct, buying used saves the lead time but would not solve the potential risk in case the amp ever needs repair. For me, that was enough not to consider SP amps even though I am sure they are great sounding.

Jul 15, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whys that?

Some people are close to the 2 year mark, after sending in enough money to buy a rather nice used vehicle. And can't even get phone or email responses back.

If it was something as simple as a long wait time, I'd agree with what you said, but having read that thread from post #1 to the end....

Jul 15, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #13 of 18
I agree with NikonGod - I suggest if you want a SinglePower amp (and they are wonderful) - buy it used here in the F/S forums, from a seller with a lot of good feedback.

Jul 16, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #15 of 18
The Little Dot amps represent a great value, plus they have tremendous resale value. I would look at the Little Dot MK III. It is around the $250 mark shipped. I would see if tubes are your thing before committing more money than necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back