Need help using computer to act as speaker/amplifier for turntable.
May 20, 2013 at 1:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Vort3xMedia

New Head-Fier
Hello all,
I am looking into using my computer as the amplifier/speakers for my record player (Sherwood PM-9800).  I have a small budget for purchasing cables but I'm not entirely sure what I need.
I can either use the front line-in port on my desktop, or I can use the line in on the motherboards built in sound card (the mother board is a Gigabyte 880GM-UD2H),  I was then going to route the audio to my amp/speaker/headphone setup. (Creative Inspire T6200 with built in amp / Sennheiser HD 598).
I'm not entirely sure if this will work, and I don't know if I will need a preamp or not.  I want to make clear that this is for playing back vinyls, not recording them.

Badly drawn diagram of what I am proposing:

Thanks in advanced,
Sam

May 21, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #2 of 3
Turntables are a bit different than gear such as CD player or Cassette deck as it requires a preamplifier.  Some TT's have built in preamps but I don't think your unit does.
You cannot just connect up the TT without that preamp.  If you had a preamp, sure you can connect the TT to the Preamp to the PC soundcard/onboard line inputs and you are ready to go.

Hope that helps.

May 21, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #3 of 3
This may not be what u want to hear but in your shoes i wouldn't say Creative 5.1 PC Speakers are what i would use to enjoy my vinyls? Since u also use cans consider a vintage/classic amp with good headphone outs and phono input? Hit bookies that hit fairly low In fact the PC/Computer ought to have nothing to do with the set up since no recording is required....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back