Need help Urgent! Looking for a receiver with multichannel analog rca input
May 4, 2012 at 9:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

vvilliamm

New Head-Fier
[size=small]I recently purchased a YAMAHA RX-V371 it will arrive within hrs today but im planning to refuse shipme[/size][size=small]nt because it doesn't have a multichannel support for my 5.1 analog rca input. i do have spif optical/coax but people told me the receviers dac is inferior for digital [/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]im hoping to spend around 250 for new/used one but i dont know which brand or model to look for used and new[/size]

[size=small]please help [/size][size=small]i will be looking for it on craigslist, ebay, and etc[/size]

May 4, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #2 of 7
It depends on a number of things and your budget is filtering out a few valuable attributes. Still, audio-wise, one can do real good by investing in older versions of the mid & upper models of the better brands...vs a newer but lower-tier model of the same brands.

Something that would get you very decent quality and an array of inputs at a low price, are 2nd hand Denon AVR receivers of the 3xxx & 4xxx series. They all have the analog inputs you need, and very good, at that. Their 5.1 EXT-IN inputs are as direct and pure as it can be in a complex receiver. This is because they bypass all sections that are not needed for the purest audio signal, including the video section and the receiver's display lights, if requested.

With a little effort, you could find the AVR 3805 in your price range. If you don't care for HDMI, which it lacks, then you get a high quality analog section and very decent digital one. The digital section will probably be slightly better than the Yamaha that you are now refusing, but not as good as the one in Denon's latest AVR or Yamaha's upper model lines, for that matter. The 3805 also has the kind of power supply that supports true simultanuous delivery of its rated power to each channel. It is good enough to even do low-impedace speakers. I know because I did so with one 3805 that I really loved (until someone spilled their drink on it while it was playing).

If you got really lucky, and found it for a not too much higher price, an AVR 4306 improves on the power section and adds HDMI 1.1 (or perhaps 1.2) support. It also sports a PC-browser based interface via Ethernet which is not the prettiest but works very well. Its Ipod & USB support, though not up to the lastest standards, also works. The digital section is similar to that of the 3805. So, it is better than some cheap more modern receivers but not as good as its newer AVR brothers...with prices in the 000s. I now own one of these.

These Denon receivers also have the virtue of being able to sustain commendable levels of detailed soundstage imaging. Depending on the speakers, they can make plain stereo sound eerily close to surround with some recorded material that captures the full & proper stereo experience.

Another oldie but favorite of mine is Pioneer's Elite VSX-49TX. No HDMI. Great analog section, solid power amps that are NOT of the ICE type now being used. Because of its age, it has a decent but not oustanding digital section. Still so many people yearn for the old non-ICE Pioneer Elite receivers that this one is rarely seen under $500.

May 4, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #3 of 7
ah well i got.. a used vsx-80txv i think mine is a older model right?  i got it for.. 100 today =]  so.. the power amps on these are awesome huh? yea it doesnt have outstanding digital but im sure its better than my old z5500's right? I also got the MIC for it too so it auto adjusts.. 

this also means in the future i could DO 7.1 !!! if i buy new front speakers and move my front to my rear. 

May 5, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
Ah well I got.. a used vsx-80txv i think mine is a older model right?  I got it for. 100 today =]  so.. the power amps on these are awesome huh? yea it doesn't have outstanding digital but I'm sure its better than my old z5500's right? I also got the MIC for it too so it auto adjusts.. 
This also means in the future i could DO 7.1 !!! if I buy new front speakers and move my front to my rear. 

The Pioneer VSX-80TXV looks like it use to sell new for over $500, and you paid $100.
From what I've been lead to believe, 7.1 is more about being able to fill a larger room with sound, then really improving the sound.
Have you put the Z5500 in a Craigslist yet?

May 5, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #5 of 7
yea i put it up on craigslist for like 200 got not hits yet. 

i guess with this setup.. later down the road i could buy two bookshelf speakers to replace my front ones... i could then use my front ones for my rear speakers giving me 7.1 surround. 

Nov 22, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #6 of 7
Hi Ektalog,

I came across this old thread and may be in a similar situation.  You recommend Denon AVR-3xxx and 4xxx for this purpose; would the AVR-2805 also serve well for this?  Is there anything that the 3xxx series has over the 2805?  According to Denon's website, the 2805 has 100 wpc (8 ohms) per channel output and I would think that would be sufficient for me.

Thanks, Mark

Nov 25, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #7 of 7
Hello Mark,

Power-wise, I think that you would get an honest delivery of the watts number. My first Denon AVR was the 2106, with a 90 watts/ch@8ohm  power rating. That little sucker could move (my then rather inefficient) Magnepans to nice musical levels. Surprisingly, their power supply was happy with the Maggies' low impedances (about 4ohm stable from factory), holding together an incredibly good 3D soundstage in stereo. PLUS for movies added the surround speakers and center at 8ohms. For a receiver (and at the bottom of the Denon AVR line-up), this 2xxx chassis did very well. So, in this sense many speakers out there should work fine with the AVR-2805.

The digital audio (and video) sections vary MUCH by  generation - as well as by price point. The 2805 is behind for both reasons. So, IF your playback equipment need decoding beyond 96khz/24bit -- or any of the newer HD formats -- the AVR-2805 with not handle it via digital. However, it does have one set of RCA multichannel inputs, which may come in handy. (For example, if you have a blu-ray player, the clarity of soundtracks on movies decoded for HD DTS/Dolby can be better appreciated...as long as the player is the one decoding digital).

My AVR-2106 could not match the audio quality of  the analog pre-amp section in the 3xxx, 4xxx and 5xxx series. Still,  with some care, Denon's Pure Direct mode allowed its music to be quite delightful. I certainly did not feel too deprived the day an accident killed my 3805. While waiting for its replacement, I pulled the 2106 out of storage, hooked up decent interconnects plus a 14ga power cord. Which reminds me If you get the 2805, or ANY Denon (AVR or player), get them some 14ga power cords (ideally, shielded, if you can appreciate 3D imaging on a deeper/wider  soundstage).

This Denon UK page still has links to discontinued AVRs: http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/pages/product-detail.aspx?catid=hometheatre&subid=avreceivers&productid=avr2805

Users who are viewing this thread

Back