Need help upgrading IEMs (approx $200 budget)
Nov 23, 2009 at 10:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

kizmiaz

New Head-Fier
I have been using Klipsch Custom 1's for about a year until one ear one driver eventually gave up.

I really liked how these sounded but i did miss the slight lack of bass.

I listen to rock/jazz/chillout/indie. Ranging from John mayer to Zero 7.

I'm lookin for some IEMs with a little more low end as while maintaining/or better high and mid quality.

Most of the time i would use them with my iPhone. (They must perform well unamped).
I would also like to be able to use these for a little bit of home recording (Guitar, Vocals mostly). (The klipsch performed slightly poorly at this. They also didnt do a very good job of staying on).

Durability is also quite important.

Recently i have been looking at the Senn IE 7's, Monster Turbines (although i think this may be a little too much bass), and the Etymotic ER-4P on the head-fi forums. I'm willing to buy compy foam tips for a better fit.
I could go slightly over $200 for a good set.

Any help deciding will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance for the responses!

Nov 23, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #2 of 14
You may give a look at jvc-fx500, they are 138USD and currently one of the best bang of the buck IEM. Solid bass with and extend high if that what you are looking for. I own IE7 so i know it has good bass, wonder mid but with a laid back high 199USD now if you order on amazon.

Nov 23, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordofbahamut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may give a look at jvc-fx500, they are 138USD and currently one of the best bang of the buck IEM. Solid bass with and extend high if that what you are looking for. I own IE7 so i know it has good bass, wonder mid but with a laid back high 199USD now if you order on amazon.

Thanks for the response.
I looked at these phones briefly. I must say i do like my mids too though, which i hear which i hear with the fx500 seems to be quite laid back. I'll keep looking into it.

What i liked slightly more with the IE7 was that it was partly built for performing monitoring use.

Nov 25, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #9 of 14
Klipsch Image X10(these are really good if you want clear highs with great midrange and deep punchy bass), X5(more balanced but little less bassy), Custom3(It has amazing midrange with deep rich bass and clear highs), IE7, and SE420.......

Nov 25, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #10 of 14
For me, a no-brainer: Atrios.

Nov 25, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #11 of 14
for me i like the westone 1. although, i haven't really heard any of the others listed above so i can't realy compare to any of them.

Nov 25, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #12 of 14
Love my Shure SE530's. Wonderful IEM with good bass and that strong Shure mid. High is definitely there, though a little recessed. Very sturdy and they do well unamped. I know you said your limit was $200 and these are definitely more new (although they're on sale at Amazon at the moment) but you can often find them here used for about the $200 mark.

Nov 28, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #13 of 14
thanks for all the replies guys. the SE530's really are outside my budget. i really did consider them at one point but their wires seem to fail often as well.
I've also looked at the future sonic atrio M5 which now im closely considering.

The westone 2's were also released yesterday and i was wondering if anyone thinks this maybe a good buy? they're $211 off earphonesolutions.com.

Nov 29, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #14 of 14
if the new westone 2's follow the westone 1 in being much better than the UM1, imo, then i'll bet the westone 2's are really great, considering that the um2's are supposed to be quite nice also. additionally, the westone 1's came with a new cable, which they probably use on the new westone 2's, which is considered better than the cabling the previous westone iems used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back