Need help upgrading from Shure se215
Sep 20, 2017 at 7:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Omegon

New Head-Fier
I recently got into the IEM world and my first set have been the Shure se215. While I really like the 215s, I have a gift card for amazon.com and I was looking to upgrade. Ideally I want to get the most bang for my buck and basically am limiting myself to products available on Amazon that are under $300.

A little background on my music preferences: I generally listen to electronic, drum and bass, ambient, and dubstep to a lesser degree. Sometimes some other genres, but it's electronic/EDM about 90% of the time. In general, I like the sound signature of the 215s (for what I paid for them). I think the bass is good enough, however they do sound a little muddy. I guess ultimately I'm looking for something that offers a good soundstage, slightly punchy but accurate bass and just overall good clarity.

I've read many reviews and was looking at the Mee Audio Pinnacle P1, however the one thing that put me off was that many people have said they're difficult to drive, being 50 ohms. Now I'm not really sure how 'difficult to drive' translates into performance through my Galaxy S8. For comparison, I get a good seal with my 215s and usually only play at about 45% volume off my S8 and it sounds quite loud. I'm reluctant to get an Amp because it just seems like an extra step and an extra thing to carry around.

What do you guys recommend? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sep 20, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #2 of 6
For your interests and in your price range, I would personally recommend that you look seriously at a 1More Quad Driver. It ticks off most of your boxes, it sounds fantastic, and it is a terrific value for the money. Easy to drive. Maybe read about them and see what you think. It could work for you.

Sep 21, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #4 of 6
The new Sennheiser IE80s would likely suit your needs too, not sure it's available yet though.

Sep 22, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks, I'll do some research. Do you think they will be significantly better than the regular IE80 set?

Probably not, but I haven't heard both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back