Need Help: Ultrasone Pro900 or AT ESW9 or other headphone
Apr 16, 2009 at 10:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

RAFA

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi

Firstly I want to say that I am sorry to bother you with another "what headphones should I buy" Thread.
frown.gif

Actually I wanted to buy the Audio Technica ESW9 next month, but then I browsed through the Headphones(full-size) forum. And I found a lot of headphones that please me. One of them is the Ultrasone pro(line) 900.

Yes, I know there are a lot of threads about the esw9 and the pro900, but they are a little confusing. One example is, that some people here say that the pro900s mids are not good, and too much bass... My impression of all of these threads is however that the pro900 is superior to the ESW9. Some people do not like the pro900 at all, but most of them who had or have them have more expensive headphones, like the denon d7000. Would those same people like the pro900s more then the esw9, if they never heard the d7000s?

So if, I would hear a track from Metallica / Deep Purple / Santana / T.I.(Rap) / Alicia Keys / Dr Dre, what headphone would sound better.

I consider the pro900 to be portable, like the esw9, because they are foldable.

I have ~300€ to spend +-20€. Also there are other headphones like the Grado sr325 and the denon d2000 fo example. Maybe I should consider them.

I am looking forward to your opinions.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2009 at 10:29 AM Post #2 of 16
Short version: The Pro 900's cons can be fixed with modding and amplification.

Yes, the Pro 900 are fairly portable given their ability to fold and the included case. The mids are good, but a bit recessed, this is what the Kees mod is supposed to correct. Personally, I've found a solution in using the Mullard tube with my amp, the sound is fairly balanced now. To me, the bass is definitely prominent but not really overpowering unless using it without an amp.

Apr 16, 2009 at 11:09 AM Post #4 of 16
All the time! It works surprisingly well with it. The NIM cleans up the sloppy bass and opens up the narrow soundstage, and mellows the highs straight out of my laptop or Zune. In fact, it's what I'm listening with now, since I'm on vacation -- ATB's Trilogy album sounding nice as always
smily_headphones1.gif
. Just noticed you have the IE8s... I don't think you'll have any trouble with the bass.

Apr 16, 2009 at 11:16 AM Post #5 of 16
Hmm, that sounds good.

Have you ever tried other headphones in this price area? What music do you listen to?

Edit:

I read somewhere that it is easy to recable them, because the cables detachable. Have you tried this out? How does the soud change through that?

Apr 16, 2009 at 11:26 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAFA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, that sounds good.

Have you ever tried other headphones in this price area? What music do you listen to?

Edit:

I read somewhere that it is easy to recable them, because the cables detachable. Have you tried this out? How does the soud change through that?

No, I have not heard other full size ones in this price area, but they were the perfect upgrade from my ATH-A900, (~$200) and I have W3 and IE8 (don't own) as reference points.

Music? I'm big into trance (+psytrance) and post rock, as well as some electronica and metal, and then a bit of everything.

They are easy to recable, since you just buy a new cable with a threaded 3.5mm jack, I have not done this. Supposedly the cable on the Pro 900 is pretty good already, and doesn't improve the sound anywhere near as drastically as the HFI-780. If you were to recable, you might want to do a dual entry because then it skips the internal diode and cable leading from the left to right ear cup.

Apr 16, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #8 of 16
Thanks stranger for the photo, they look awsome
biggrin.gif
-> that is another reason I may buy them. I like the IE8s sound, they are getting better from day to day.

Hmm, the esw10jpn would fit too, but I cannot get them under 400€. They would blast my wallet.

Apr 16, 2009 at 11:34 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Thanks stranger for the photo, they look awsome
biggrin.gif
-> that is another reason I may buy them. I like the IE8s sound, they are getting better from day to day.

I really am a fan of the aluminum plates and the DJ look they have to them, and the black color is part of why I spent +$100 over the 750... I'm glad I did though. Edit: One thing though, don't let any sharp objects near the aluminum, it'll scratch, though it's fairly resilient in everyday use.

Quote:

Hmm, the esw10jpn would fit too, but I cannot get them under 400€. They would blast my wallet.

Excuse me, a budget? This is Head-Fi
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2009 at 11:43 AM Post #11 of 16
Yeah, Budget...
smily_headphones1.gif

I got addicted to Head-fi. Last two months I bought 1 new and 2 used portable sources. This may not look like much to some, but I am a poor college student, with small income.

One thing is great-> the Pro900s are similar to the Edition 9 which costs 1500€, exactly like my car. BUT, I have no regrets.

Apr 16, 2009 at 11:45 AM Post #12 of 16
Recabling is always an option though -- search, there's a couple people who have recabled and posted impressions (The money would be better spent on a desktop source / [any] amp -- IMPORTANT) . Personally, I found them acceptable sounding straight out of the box, but they need burn-in time. Give them about 300 hours (Yeah, it seems insane right?) and then determine if you want to Kees mod. I unmodded mine because I found them boring, but most seem to prefer them modded.

Apr 16, 2009 at 11:57 AM Post #13 of 16
No, it is ok, i had my first shock when read about the burn-in time for my IE8s. average_joe wrote something about 250+ hours.

My portable amp will be the Corda xxs, since it is the same amp like the 3MOVE, but without the DAC. Later I will buy a full size headphone amp.

Apr 16, 2009 at 12:01 PM Post #14 of 16
Alright, wanted to make sure it was clear you would probably be disappointed if you used them without at the least a portable amp. Whenever you look at a desktop amp, I would suggest a mid-boosting solid state or hybrid amp. Oh, and hopefully you can find a nice deal on them since you're in Europe, companies can't publicly advertise them under a certain price ($500 ?) I paid $375 shipped here in the States. Another thing... I think Ultrasone will sell you a much shorter cable that is terminated with a mini jack, might want to look into that if you'll be using them a lot portably.

Apr 16, 2009 at 12:22 PM Post #15 of 16
I am really excited about my feature portable rig, even though I was speculting not buying an amp, because 40 ohm is not that much. My Ainol V3000HD sounds good and is really strong, even 50% volume is too loud for me, with my IE8s (maybe that is because theyare IEMs).

Sooner or later, I would have bought a portable amp anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back