Need help tuning (?) dac and amp and computer volume controls
Sep 8, 2013 at 4:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

NiTyHu

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased a "Little dot I+" amp and "JDS Labs ODAC" to compliment my Denon AH-D7000. However, I am having difficulties getting the set up to sound good with my computer (even using Flac). In fact I experience the sound to be much worse than when simply using onboard dac/amp. I am expecting the issue to be related to "volume" input into the DAC as any song sounds distorted beyond compare when the volume is turned up full on the computer and media player (even without using the Amp). Any suggestions for how these 3 volume controls should be handled best possible? I am also worried about damaging the headphones.

I am worried that there is a problem with the dac, but realize I am probably doing something wrong as a newbie. 

Thank you for any replies to my problem!

Sep 8, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #2 of 2
Try 75% on PC, 100% out from the DAC to the amp, and use the amp's volume to get to the loudness levels you desire.

When you hear the distortion please list what volume levels all of you gear is at including what headphones you are using.

Basically you want the amp to remain low in volume ( below 50% ).  Try different volume settings until the clipping goes away.  There really is no right answer without measuring a bunch of voltages, but if the sound appears to be better you are probably making things better.

On my home setup I have done a bunch of experimenting with the volume controls and what I found that works best for me is:

PC: 100%
DAC:  86%
Amp:  Whatever gets you grooving ( typically below 50% )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back