Need help tube rolling on Sonett. 5AR4 and 6H30
Sep 5, 2009 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

DC5Zilla

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, this is my first time acquiring a tube amp and I would like to start tube rolling. On the label, it has two tube slots with one being 5AR4 and another being 6H30. I have close to none knowledge in tubes and have no clue which one will suit my need. I did search a bit on 5AR4 rectifier tubes and found out that vast majority likes 274B Princess Sophia mesh.. but I guess its strength is in detail and soundstage. I think my HD800 has enough soundstage and detail and my preference is "more bass impact and MAYBE just a tad bit less emphasis on high" I would very much appreciate if any one can give me some advise on which tube to purchase and where to purchase. Is eBay ok? Thanks!!

Sep 6, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #2 of 9
Hey there. I think a lot will depend on how flexible the amp is in terms of the rectifier. As you pointed out there are a myriad of various 5AR4 and similar tubes, but not all can use these. For example the Woo WA6/SE can use almost any similar tube (5AR4, 5U4G/B, 5V4G, 274B, GZ32/33/34, etc.) so I'd check with Donald what the Sonett is compatible with.

In terms of the 6H30, I asked Mr. North and he said the following:
The 6H30 audio tube is only available in 2 versions:
The standard and the NOS DR version. I have not yet heard the DR version to know if it is an improvement or not.

So I think you may be limited to those two versions only.

Cheers
X

Sep 6, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #3 of 9
Sep 15, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey there. I think a lot will depend on how flexible the amp is in terms of the rectifier. As you pointed out there are a myriad of various 5AR4 and similar tubes, but not all can use these. For example the Woo WA6/SE can use almost any similar tube (5AR4, 5U4G/B, 5V4G, 274B, GZ32/33/34, etc.) so I'd check with Donald what the Sonett is compatible with.

In terms of the 6H30, I asked Mr. North and he said the following:
The 6H30 audio tube is only available in 2 versions:
The standard and the NOS DR version. I have not yet heard the DR version to know if it is an improvement or not.

So I think you may be limited to those two versions only.

Cheers
X

Thanks for your input!! I decided to contact Donald and he too pointed out to the 6H30-DR. I looked the price up in thetubestore.. $160!! Pretty steep price
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What you want in terms of your stated sonic goal is an RCA Fat Boy 5AR4: RCA GZ34 5AR4 FAT BOY RECTIFIER TUBE - eBay (item 330357631213 end time Sep-14-09 07:05:50 PDT)

The above is just an example, not vouching for that seller or specific sample in any way, but if you want a warmer sounding rectifier, that is what you want, NOT the Princess 274B. I like the Princess, but she is not a warm sounding tube.

Thank you for your input! I want to try that particular tube but having problem finding the right one.

Sep 15, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #5 of 9
I feel so lost.

After 3 weeks of listening HD800 through my gear, I don't want to but I have to admit that although it sounds really nice, I'm not in love with it. I think I should consider purchasing different headphone instead of changing tubes...

Sep 15, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #7 of 9
Foobar WASAPI > FLAC > PICO DAC > APS RCA Interconnect > DNA Sonett > Balanced APS V3 > HD800

I'm trying to find a headphone/iem that has the same bass quality as HD800 but packs more punch and impact.. I truely love HD800's mids, detail, and soundstage but I could appreciate a little less emphasis on the high freq

Thinking about switching to

PS1000
UE11, since I've heard JH13 has similar characteristics as HD800
Denon D7000
JVC DX1000

Sep 15, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #8 of 9
Good that you called Donald re the 5AR4. I had the same question. Both Woo and Donald confirmed that the Sonett's PS was incompatible with that full figured beauty.

Something else to consider along with tube rolling is to apply some dampening. Look at Herbie's Audio Lab: Herbie's Audio Lab: Home Page. I'm using the Ultrasonic Rx on the stock 5AR4, and the Ultrasonic on the 6H30. The difference is not so subtle, even on the stock JJ 5AR4 (maybe more so). I'm looking at the Japanese Mullard copy here:Japanese 5AR4

The Sovtek is not a bad tube at all. If you didn't compare it with the DR version, you might not miss it. However, having the DR version in the circuit is a significant upgrade. I found a matched pair on Audiogon. I purchased my pair here: AudiogoN ForSale: 6h30p-dr super tube for BAT Audio

The listing is for a single tube, but I was able to secure a matched pair, same date.

Re headphones, have you considered custom IEM's? Right now I'm listening with the Westone ES3X, and the synergy is really quite remarkable. (See my review of the Sonett/ES3X synergies here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...ac-amp-444471/

Another IEM you might want to consider is the JH13PRO. I hear that achristilaw has been in a rather prolonged musical interlude
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back