Need help troubleshooting electrostatic amp...
Aug 30, 2008 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

earwicker7

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm having a recurring problem with my amp... there are occasional loud cracks coming from the amp itself (not the headphones) and then a drop in the headphone volume. The volume recovers in about a second.

The strange part about this is that it has happened on both my Egmont and my Coriolan 2. Rudi says he can't find anything wrong with the Egmont (I traded up to the Coriolan 2; it's now with a customer whom he says has had no problems with it).

This problem happens on both my Omega2 and HE60.

One possible explanation I was thinking of (I've emailed Rudi and he says it is possible, although he wants me to try some other things first) is that the headphones may have picked up a lot of dust from my last residence, which was very dusty. I always boxed them up when not in use, but I guess they could have picked up some dust while being played. I'd always thought that dusty stats would lead to hisses, pops, etc., coming from the phones themselves; is it possible that it would lead to the loud sound coming from the amp? Rudi said that it sounds to him like the cans are losing their bias. If this were the case, would this also happen with the stock HE60 amp? I can always give a listen on it.

Aug 30, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #2 of 8
Anyone?

Aug 30, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 8
Things you may want to try.
A) Try running the amp(s) off of a different outlet.
B) Skip any power conditioners if using them and run it strait off the outlet.
C) Swap tubes around.

It may be a power related issue since both amps exibited the same issue. Are you using any step up/down transformers ?

Did you use the same power cord with both amps...try swapping that out.

It's all about a series of elimination.

Aug 30, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Things you may want to try.
A) Try running the amp(s) off of a different outlet.
B) Skip any power conditioners if using them and run it strait off the outlet.
C) Swap tubes around.

It may be a power related issue since both amps exibited the same issue. Are you using any step up/down transformers ?

Did you use the same power cord with both amps...try swapping that out.

It's all about a series of elimination.

A and B were done on the Egmont, and I plan on doing this with the Coriolan 2. The same goes for the power cords. I really only have one spare set of tubes of this type... Rudi gave me some NOS rectifier tubes. I'm going to try switching these out.

As for the step-down transformer, no, I'm not using one, but I have definitely wondered about the power issue myself. I'm not aware of anyone besides myself (although there may be others) on this side of the Atlantic who owns a Rudistor electrostatic amp... it seems to be primarily used by Europeans (ie, different voltage). I mentioned to Rudi that I was considering the possibility that the problem had something to do with different voltages; he said anything was possible, but he didn't think this was it.

Aug 30, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what is wrong with the other thread, where people have given several answers?

this thread

That thread was supposed to be about Blue Hawaii builders, it just kind of turned into the discussion that we're having now. I'd like to specify that I need help in the thread title. I'll post a link to this in the other thread.

Aug 31, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... and I'll say it again, do you have any pictures of the insides?

I'll be honest, I'm a little nervous about popping open an electrostatic amp, what with the lethal voltages and all. If I can't get things going without that, I may see if Rudi is ok with me taking it to a local tech.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back