Need help to resolve USB DAC stuttering
Apr 1, 2022 at 2:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Fafner88

New Head-Fier
I'm experiencing audio stuttering with my USB DAC (E1DA PowerDAC V2.1). The stuttering though only happens on very quiet parts of the recordings, and as I recently discovered, only when the waveform looks off centered in audacity (like explained here: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/dc_offset.html). It also turns out that youtube auto-generated tracks of the same recording that stutters when played from a flac rip don't stutter on youtube, and when I viewed the youtube audio on Audacity the waveform doesn't appear to be off-centered like the stuttering file.

Also, the stuttering is much reduced when I play music in exclusive mode in Foobar, though it doesn't go away completely. I have another USB DAC which doesn't have this issue, so I suspect it's not the fault of my pc hardware (I'm using Windows 10). I also tried different cables and different USB ports on my pc to no avail. Would appreciate any advice.

Apr 1, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #2 of 11
Check your windows sound settings and be sure to do the following:
Sound Settings -> Device Properties -> Additional Device Properties ->Advanced Tab

Make sure bitrate and bit depth are 16 bit and 48000hz ( DVD quality ).
Turn off Allow Application to exclusive control
Turn off Give Exclusive Mode Priority

Go to the Enhancements tab
Turn off any and all enhancements

Try a different USB port
Try a different USB cable

Try those fixes first and get back to us with any progress please.

Apr 1, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #3 of 11
Yes I tried all of your suggestions as I said in the post. Different USB ports or cables don't make a difference. The issue is less severe when I'm using exclusive mode like WASAPI (with disabled enhancements etc.) but it doesn't go away completely (the drop offs only become less frequent).

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #10 of 11
Try increasing buffers on your player (app and/or device)

Apr 8, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #11 of 11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back