Need help to get cable for LCD3 Fazor
Feb 15, 2015 at 3:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Dark Ayla

Formerly known as Sound Maniac
I am wondering if there is a cable that improves mids, sound stage and bass for LCD3 Fazor.
Is there a significant and noticeable difference compared to the stock cable?
What about single balanced 4 pin XLR vs dual balanced 3 pin XLR? Which is bitter?

I can't imagine that Audeze will sacrifice a significant improvement by using low quality cables, but the physical appearance of their cables is horrible! So if really cables add better flavour to the phones, why would they do that to their own phones?!

Feb 15, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #4 of 9
OK, since sarcasm didn't translate very well, I'll speak more plainly. Trying to buy cables to change a headphone's sound signature is a fool's errand. If you want the headphones to sound differently, then buy different headphones. Buy cool looking cables to look cool, not to improve the sound. I have absolutely no belief in the concept that two 6 foot, properly shielded copper cables can sound differently. YMMV...

Feb 15, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #5 of 9
OK, since sarcasm didn't translate very well, I'll speak more plainly. Trying to buy cables to change a headphone's sound signature is a fool's errand. If you want the headphones to sound differently, then buy different headphones. Buy cool looking cables to look cool, not to improve the sound. I have absolutely no belief in the concept that two 6 foot, properly shielded copper cables can sound differently. YMMV...

Thanks

Feb 15, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #6 of 9

There's the issue, though.  Although I pretty much agree with your assessment of cables with the same type of conductor, I have to say that in my limited (subjective, of course) experience, conductors with different materials (like pure silver or silver clad copper) do affect the sound signature enough to be noticeable.  

Dark Ayla, it might be worth a try experimenting with different cable conductors to form your own opinion and decide for yourself if I am peddling snake oil or not.  See if someone can lend you one or two to try.  As billybob said, YMMV.

If you want a light, flexible, and stylish cable that still manages to sound good (but is copper only), might I recommend a Q-Audio cable from Steve Eddy and the Audio Guild.  Even if it doesn't change the sound (although it does for me), it does look good and matches the LCD-3 style:

http://theaudioguild.com/

Hope this helps...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

PS - The views expressed above are IMHO and, of course, YMMV...

Feb 15, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #7 of 9
Just to give you some hope...

Switching to a fully balanced amp and headphones is a different situation. The improved slew rates and headroom are very real, and that can have audible benefits. How much? That I can't really answer = there's too many variables, and whether you would think it is worth it is only something you can decide.

Feb 15, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #8 of 9
  There's the issue, though.  Although I pretty much agree with your assessment of cables with the same type of conductor, I have to say that in my limited (subjective, of course) experience, conductors with different materials (like pure silver or silver clad copper) do affect the sound signature enough to be noticeable.  

Dark Ayla, it might be worth a try experimenting with different cable conductors to form your own opinion and decide for yourself if I am peddling snake oil or not.  See if someone can lend you one or two to try.  As billybob said, YMMV.

If you want a light, flexible, and stylish cable that still manages to sound good (but is copper only), might I recommend a Q-Audio cable from Steve Eddy and the Audio Guild.  Even if it doesn't change the sound (although it does for me), it does look good and matches the LCD-3 style:

http://theaudioguild.com/

Hope this helps...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

PS - The views expressed above are IMHO and, of course, YMMV...

Thank you so much for your recommendation :)

What LCD are you using? I noticed that they have different wooden cups compared to my LCD3.

What about Norne cables vs Moon cables?

Unfortunately I have to access  at all to test/demo any cables :frowning2:

Feb 15, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #9 of 9

Thank you so much for your recommendation :)

What LCD are you using? I noticed that they have different wooden cups compared to my LCD3.

What about Norne cables vs Moon cables?

Unfortunately I have to access  at all to test/demo any cables :frowning2:

It's the Classic (non-fazor'd) LCD-3.  The wood is not as dark as is appears in the picture although it is darker than other LCD-3 wood cups I've seen.

I'm not familiar with the fabric-sleeved Norn cables (way back when I had a Norse Audio cable, the sleeves were plastic or vinyl and the cable was stiffer).  The Moon cables are plastic sleeved and much stiffer than mine (I had the Blue and Silver Dragons at one time or another).  They are, without a doubt, excellent cables all, but for pure ergonomics (and nice sonics), I prefer the Q-Cable (you could play jump rope with it although I don't recommend it).  I've owned it by far the longest.

Hope that helps...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Users who are viewing this thread

Back