Need help to find a good DIY amp kit with housing for beginner.
Jul 13, 2020 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

W1ll1eTheP1mp

500+ Head-Fier
Hi. ive looked many places after a DIY amp kit that i can build myself. What is a recommodation for a good, affordable and with full instructions? im familiar with soldering. The amp will be used at home and will be hooked up to my åc and lg v40.

Jul 14, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #2 of 6
Anyone?

Jul 14, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #3 of 6
Unfortunately, the Chinese and Schiit have forced kits into being unaffordable. Those two make amplifiers for less than most of us can kit them.

If you can assume the responsibility of ordering the parts yourself, then an entire universe of designs are available to you. Check out DIYforums.org or AMB Labs. There are many others, too.

Bottlehead is still offering mostly kits, I believe, but they're all point-to-point soldering, which is quite a bit more difficult than PCB-based designs.

Jul 16, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #4 of 6
Check out https://diyaudiostore.com ... the WHAMMY is pretty easy to build and affordable. They also have a Starving Student II kit for around $200ish and the Noir which is a $69 kit if I recall correctly. Kits regularly go in and out of stock, so you might have to wait for a replenishment. As tomb said, Bottlehead is another option, although harder to recommend now-a-days with all the low cost competition.

Jul 18, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #5 of 6
Check out https://diyaudiostore.com ... the WHAMMY is pretty easy to build and affordable. They also have a Starving Student II kit for around $200ish and the Noir which is a $69 kit if I recall correctly. Kits regularly go in and out of stock, so you might have to wait for a replenishment. As tomb said, Bottlehead is another option, although harder to recommend now-a-days with all the low cost competition.
Thank to you both!!=) Preciate it! I just want something that measures good and has some power to drive planars. So u mean the lowcist options is just as good as Bottleneck? good for me and my wallet then!=) heard good stuff about the bottleneck

Jul 18, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #6 of 6
Just depends on what you want. The Bottlehead Crack is a good choice if you want a tube circuit, though it really needs the speedball upgrade to sound its best. The Whammy is solid state and has a more resolving sound at a lower cost. It's a hobbyist build, so it's not really intended to make any money for the creators, whereas the Bottlehead is a commercial offering. The Noir is a hobbyist build as well, though I haven't heard it and can't comment on its sound. If price is your only objective, you can purchase a used Schiit amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back