Sep 16, 2008 at 1:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

okayimHuuu

New Head-Fier
Hi, im pretty much new to the forum and obviously this will be my
first pair of earphones so i would appreciate if i can get any kind of input
wink.gif

Since im ordering my IPC's soon, i'm searching for a pair of earphones to
go with them. I have read that one should take into account of the type of
music you listen to when choosing. Well i personally listen to: hiphop, rnb, trance
and thats pretty much about it.

I have checked through the forums/site and ended with these choices:

Etymotic ER6i
Westone UM1
V-Moda Vibe
UE Super.fi 3studio
ATH-CK9
Shure SE110
Shure SCL2
Denon AH-C551

Now can anyone please shed some light on which pair will actually suit me best?
or maybe if possible rank them from no1. to 8?
ksc75smile.gif

Thanks in advance!

Sep 16, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #2 of 21
For what you listen to, I would say no to the ER6i's - they don't have much bass and are quite detailed/exact on the rest, I think you would want something a little warm.

I also would steer away from the SE110, the E2c is pretty much the same thing for half the price.

Sep 16, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #5 of 21
v-moda has pretty bad quality control. I've only heard bad things about how they last a month or two...

I highly recommend the Denon AH-C551s. They have great, rich bass and decent highs. Comfortable as well.

Sep 18, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #8 of 21
I loved my vibes, and for your music choices, they would be perfect. HOWEVER, I had two pair, and both of them broke due to wire malfunctions despite my meticulous care of them.

I would say that your ideal earphones would be Ultimate Ears super. fi 5 extended base. They'll run you about $145 dollars online, but their base is unmatched within that price range.

If that's a bit much for you, then I would direct you to the UM1's. Westone makes the most comfortable earphones on the market.

Sep 18, 2008 at 12:45 PM Post #9 of 21
"hiphop, rnb, trance" sounds like your into your bass music. If you want your earphones to sound like you are in a club/large fun sound with better fidelity then I would recommend the UE superfi 5 EB.

These earphones only seam to get bad reviews because people don't burn them in first so be aware that they will get much better than when first used as out of the box there are a bit boomy. I am a club DJ and have tried the £200 high fidelity IEm's and prefer The EB's. Once burned in the EB's are very controlled and reproduce the clean bass but in a higher volume without affecting the highs

Sep 19, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #11 of 21
thanks for the input guys, i was leaning towards the vibes, but after reading about the quality of them i think ill check further. I defi will take a look into superfi 5EB's

Thanks for the help
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 19, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For what it's worth, the C551s perform well with your kind of music, and the bass is great.

For the extra 50 bucks, would u get the UE 5EB's over the C551s?

Sep 19, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #14 of 21
From my reading: Nope. But hear me out.

I was looking for an upgrade from super-entry-level canalphones (think CX200, JVC marshmallows). After lots and lots of reading here, I decided ~$100 was the sweet spot with canalphones like the C551s and RE-2s. My next step up would be ~$200, with things like the C751s and Sleek SA6s. Now, some will disagree with my trajectory. Some will want to sample everything from ~$25 (CX300) to ~$60 (ER-6i) to ~$100 (C551), etc.

So...would I spend $50 more for the UE 5Bs? Probably not, because I want to upgrade, and do so in increments. However, if you want to stick to one set for a long, long time, maybe you should fork over the extra dough.

Sep 19, 2008 at 8:44 AM Post #15 of 21
Out of those I would pick the Denon AH-C551. No question about it, given what you listen to. The other choices will be seriously lacking in bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back