Need help to choose my new headphones
Jun 9, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #16 of 25
I thought this at one point, but personally my attitude changed after I had a chance to listen to a bunch of headphones this year. The thing is some genres require some attributes to be listened to properly. For instance, I noticed a lot of highly regarded headphones  couldn't handle the deep kick drums of a lot of Hip Hop and similarly mixed music. Some headphones like Beats are  good for those genres but suck for music that is more melody driven.

It really sucks having headphones that don't output the type of music you listen to in a complimentary way. You always feel that something is missing and are never quite satisfied.

+1

And it tends to be driven by what we like about a genre. Maybe some people are mainly interested in the lyrics in hip hop and rap, so a headphone with a lot of bass roll off is no big deal. In fact, too much bass emphasis might overwhelm the vocals. And then there is pipe organ music as a sub genre of classical which, if one wants to hear all of the notes, requires very deep bass extension.

Jun 9, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #17 of 25
You can pair the Senn HD600 with a Objective O2 + DAC combo, which is almost in your range.
Look out in the sale section of the forum to see if you can grab them used (if your are open to buying used).

Jun 9, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #18 of 25
I thought this at one point, but personally my attitude changed after I had a chance to listen to a bunch of headphones this year. The thing is some genres require some attributes to be listened to properly. For instance, I noticed a lot of highly regarded headphones  couldn't handle the deep kick drums of a lot of Hip Hop and similarly mixed music. Some headphones like Beats are  good for those genres but suck for music that is more melody driven.

It really sucks having headphones that don't output the type of music you listen to in a complimentary way. You always feel that something is missing and are never quite satisfied.

OK, you want a 'phone with good bass extension and some slam. Sounds good. What else? We can't really help you without knowing your expectations.

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #19 of 25
OK, you want a 'phone with good bass extension and some slam. Sounds good. What else? We can't really help you without knowing your expectations.

I was just talking in generalities. I'm good for headphones now.  
+1

And it tends to be driven by what we like about a genre. Maybe some people are mainly interested in the lyrics in hip hop and rap, so a headphone with a lot of bass roll off is no big deal. In fact, too much bass emphasis might overwhelm the vocals. And then there is pipe organ music as a sub genre of classical which, if one wants to hear all of the notes, requires very deep bass extension.

Yeah exactly!

Jun 23, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #20 of 25
The type of music you listen to is irrelevant and even misleading in a sense that we all have our own idea as to what a given genre should sound like. It would be more helpful to you if you described the sonic attributes that you prefer. Good luck.

Hello,
As I said before, I mostly listen pop and dance music. On the other hand, I don't like heavy bass like "head exploding" bass. Accurate, tight bass is enough for me.
I also play fps and sport games. These are my needs, I don't know how to explain more detailed.
I'm thinking about these choices: hd 598, hd600, audiotechnica AD900 / 900x, AKG K601, AKG Q701, beyerdynamic dt770 or 880...
I don't think about audiotechnica Ad700 because of light bass...
Thanks

Jun 23, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #21 of 25
Hello,
As I said before, I mostly listen pop and dance music. On the other hand, I don't like heavy bass like "head exploding" bass. Accurate, tight bass is enough for me.
I also play fps and sport games. These are my needs, I don't know how to explain more detailed.

You could tell us whether you prefer a brighter sounding headphone, or a warmer option. You could also tell us what's most important to you. For example, a large soundfield, overall transparency and clarity, etc. Open or closed design? Pretend you're talking to a friend and telling him what kind of sound you like.

I'm thinking about these choices: hd 598, hd600, audiotechnica AD900 / 900x, AKG K601, AKG Q701, beyerdynamic dt770 or 880...
I don't think about audiotechnica Ad700 because of light bass...
Thanks

Some of the above are discontinued models.

Given your budget and going on your comments, without knowing more, my initial suggestion is AKG Q701 from Amazon's warehouse deals and a used Matrix M-Stage from the forum classifieds.

Jun 23, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #22 of 25
You could tell us whether you prefer a brighter sounding headphone, or a warmer option. You could also tell us what's most important to you. For example, a large soundfield, overall transparency and clarity, etc. Open or closed design? Pretend you're talking to a friend and telling him what kind of sound you like.
Some of the above are discontinued models.

Given your budget and going on your comments, without knowing more, my initial suggestion is AKG Q701 from Amazon's warehouse deals and a used Matrix M-Stage from the forum classifieds.

1)  I will mostly use it at home so no problem with open design.
2) for games, soundstage is really important. Therefore, I would prefer wider soundstage.
3)  I used a entry model of sennheiser, I liked it's warm sound. But brighter sound might be a different experience. Clarity is important for me.   
4)  I wrote my expectations for music, so I'm not writing them again.
Hope this helps more...
Thanks for your detailed answers and patience.

Jun 23, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #23 of 25
1)  I will mostly use it at home so no problem with open design. The Q701 is open
2) for games, soundstage is really important. Therefore, I would prefer wider soundstage. It has a very wide soundstage, but there's no such thing as a soundstage with headphones, so we'll call it a soundfield :)
3)  I used a entry model of sennheiser, I liked it's warm sound. But brighter sound might be a different experience. Clarity is important for me. Same recommendation. Just keep in mind the cans will need several hundred hours to come into their own  
4)  I wrote my expectations for music, so I'm not writing them again. The only thing you said that you didn't want too much bass. The AKGs fit that description
Hope this helps more... If you decide on the Q701, keep in mind that they need a good amplifier, even to get a taste of what they're about. The M-Stage is a good match for the cans
Thanks for your detailed answers and patience.

In bold. Good luck.

Jun 23, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #24 of 25
3)  I used a entry model of sennheiser, I liked it's warm sound. But brighter sound might be a different experience. Clarity is important for me.   

If you know you like a warmer sound, then no reason not to go with a Sennhesier open headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back