Need help to buy iem ~1400$
Mar 26, 2019 at 3:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

acud1985

100+ Head-Fier
hi, After bought Ibasso IT01 to my sister, i need to buy iem for me.
My budget is around 1250€ or 1400$.

My dap is A&k Ak70 MKII.

I listen jazz, some rock, some lirical, Pop a few. I don’t prefer analitical but i like Warm and natural sound. Warm and a little clarity. I like Hear every instruments and i like cymbal to crash dazzle and energy but with a warm and intimate sound as possible. Not heavy bass but controlled and present.
Wide soundstage with a good separation between instruments.

I know that is difficult..but i need help from you.
Thanks a lot and sorry for my emglish
Giovanni

Mar 29, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #9 of 23
my DAP is an A&K SR15, the upgrade to your 70II.

I'm not a fan of IEMs because i find headphones more comfortable. that being said, the campfire Andromeda and Solaris were really awesome. but i still find the price steeeeep. i've heard IEMs that were almost at the same level for 300-400$ but again, thats personal preference.

I'd take a look at what campfire can offer, they're well build from what i got to try and were enjoyable.

Mar 29, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #10 of 23
Buon Giorno Giovanni!
A good starting point would be Crinacle's list.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/crinacles-iem-ranking-list.857498/

Out of the options listed there I listened to the Sony IER-M9 and liked them a lot. I felt that they were quite lively for a BA IEM. But difficult to buy in Europe, I think they are not yet launched.
The Campfire Andromeda is another safe buy and should be easy to find used. But very "BA", lacking the dynamics of a DD which I personally like a lot.
Solaris was a livlier and very engaging option, but the shell feels big, very light and kind of fragile.
the "hot" IEM of the hour is the Sony IER Z1R, slightly above your budget and big and heavy, but a very impressive IEM.
Very engaging, powerful, detailed, etc.

But you are coming from the IT01?
(Edit: saw you have an A&K DAP)
Coming from the IT01 there are huge improvements to be had at lower cost.

My personal set of IEMs is now a Sony EX800ST, with balanced but powerful bass, high amount of detail and an also slightly strong treble. Very coherent and fun, huge soundstage. Bought new for €180 in Japan.
Second IEM is a JVC HA-FD02 with upgraded cable and a simple mod. That one is neutral, silky smooth, fast, highly detailed and has one of the most accurate timbres I have ever heard. Also €180 in Japan + another €100 for the cable. All together 500 for 2 very different but excellent IEMs.
I compared them to the TOTLs above and they hold their ground.
That would leave budget for a DAP upgrade. I bought the Chord Mojo and HiBy R3 (mainly as source for FLAC data into the Mojo)

Buona sera!

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #13 of 23
my DAP is an A&K SR15, the upgrade to your 70II.

I'm not a fan of IEMs because i find headphones more comfortable. that being said, the campfire Andromeda and Solaris were really awesome. but i still find the price steeeeep. i've heard IEMs that were almost at the same level for 300-400$ but again, thats personal preference.

I'd take a look at what campfire can offer, they're well build from what i got to try and were enjoyable.
And which headphone or iem i’d buy?

Apr 3, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #14 of 23
Buon Giorno Giovanni!
A good starting point would be Crinacle's list.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/crinacles-iem-ranking-list.857498/

Out of the options listed there I listened to the Sony IER-M9 and liked them a lot. I felt that they were quite lively for a BA IEM. But difficult to buy in Europe, I think they are not yet launched.
The Campfire Andromeda is another safe buy and should be easy to find used. But very "BA", lacking the dynamics of a DD which I personally like a lot.
Solaris was a livlier and very engaging option, but the shell feels big, very light and kind of fragile.
the "hot" IEM of the hour is the Sony IER Z1R, slightly above your budget and big and heavy, but a very impressive IEM.
Very engaging, powerful, detailed, etc.

But you are coming from the IT01?
(Edit: saw you have an A&K DAP)
Coming from the IT01 there are huge improvements to be had at lower cost.

My personal set of IEMs is now a Sony EX800ST, with balanced but powerful bass, high amount of detail and an also slightly strong treble. Very coherent and fun, huge soundstage. Bought new for €180 in Japan.
Second IEM is a JVC HA-FD02 with upgraded cable and a simple mod. That one is neutral, silky smooth, fast, highly detailed and has one of the most accurate timbres I have ever heard. Also €180 in Japan + another €100 for the cable. All together 500 for 2 very different but excellent IEMs.
I compared them to the TOTLs above and they hold their ground.
That would leave budget for a DAP upgrade. I bought the Chord Mojo and HiBy R3 (mainly as source for FLAC data into the Mojo)

Buona sera!
Ciao @surfgeorge and thanks to all. Which DD i’d find?
Dap upgrade? I would buy A&K sp1000m but not now because it’s too expensive for
Me...

Apr 3, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #15 of 23
Ciao @surfgeorge and thanks to all. Which DD i’d find?
Dap upgrade? I would buy A&K sp1000m but not now because it’s too expensive for
Me...

I don’t have that much experience with DAPs, only have a Hiby R3 and Sony ZX2, but my favorite source is the Chord Mojo.
But my “mentor” swears by the AK SP1000 copper custom...
DDs... I was really impressed by the JVC FW10000, most natural I have heard, but I only had a short try.
And I think it’s a bit expensive... But I have not heard the other classics like the Xelento and AK2tie I think it’s called, or even the EX1000, so
I am stuck with my almost TOTL EX800 and modded JVC FD02 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back