Need help taking apart SR 325's
Jan 12, 2004 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mercid

Head-Fier
Hey everyone. Recently my SR325's broke on the inside of the phone, where i had to soldier the wire back on to the phone. I have done this before but this time there is no metal plate for one of the wires, so only the blue one is connected and I have no where to put the red. Is there a way to take apart these things and find the lead again so i can soldier to it or am i hosed?

Thanks!

Jeff

Jan 12, 2004 at 1:39 AM Post #2 of 9
If I am hearing you right all you have to do is heat the metal housing up with a hair dryer do not blow air into the front where the speaker is. Put the speaker part face down kepp the dryer level a few inches away heat up the metal housing then gently
pull it off may take a little force.They put them together with hot
gule.When you get them apart you will see where the wire goes
Not a big deal I have took them apart many times.And have resoldered the cable harness many times take your time and be brave you can do it.

Jan 12, 2004 at 1:52 AM Post #3 of 9
Nope, that IS exactly what I did. I have done this before but this time, on of the sides there is no metal plate on the pcb'ish type stuff. So 1 wire hooks up fine, but there is no where to put the other one...

Jan 12, 2004 at 10:14 AM Post #4 of 9
Why dont you E-mail grado labs I dont know about others but I always get a reply from them may take a couple of days.I am sure they will take care of it for you.Or even just call them I have done that to they seem to be pretty nice to me.Just a thought.
Dave

Jan 12, 2004 at 10:42 PM Post #5 of 9
Are you sure there isn't a solder bridge between the two contact areas? Might help to do a complete desolder first. This is an old photo from when I resoldered my well beat up 325s.
sr325-driver.jpg

Jan 13, 2004 at 1:02 AM Post #6 of 9
That is a good picture I have a pair of 125s that do not work any
more and they look the same on the inside I think all of them look the same.Both wires hook to the same plate one side or the other.I think your idea of desoldering might be a good one then he could better see what is going on.If they were working all the parts must be there. Dave

Jan 13, 2004 at 3:18 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
Blimey, remind me never to buy a pair of Grado's
frown.gif

i did. it is a little scary how homemade they look. part of the cache` i suppose. can you feel my pain?
redface.gif

Jan 13, 2004 at 5:15 AM Post #9 of 9
PF, I don't doubt your hesitation, the reason I had to repair the 325 was because the factory wire trim left well over a full cm of bare wire and it finally started to short. Took about 6 months of use before the problem presented.

Still, the Grado sound, esp the HP-1 is superb, wouldn't trade these for anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back