Need help/suggestions for amp and dac combi for studio monitors and grado ps500
Jun 23, 2012 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

JoelS87

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to read this.
I own the m-audio bx8 d2 studio monitors (active speakers) and the grado ps500 headphone.
My interface is the asus xonar essence st (pci).

That said, i'm interested in getting a dac and an amp that allows me to connect my headphone as well as speakers to it.
The confusion, for me, is that my speakers already have built in amps in them so I technically don't need to get amps for them.
My headphones also have really low impedance (32omh) so I don't need an amp to really power it.

However, I really would like to get a good dac because from what I read, it significantly increases audio quality.
However, most DAC I've been looking at, like mf's V-dac mk2, or the peachtree dac it or the tube magic D2 are dedicated DACs so they only have 1 pair of L&R rca outputs (except the D2 but it doesnt have built in headphone amp).

In the light of this, I am thinking of getting a decent headphone amp (under $500) that would do my grado ps500 justice, but also has the necessary output to my active speakers.

I'm thinking of getting tubemagic's D2 and A1 but I'm also curious what you guys would suggest?
My headphones are pretty high end but definitely not top of the line. My studio monitors on the other hand are entry level.
I'm trying to get a pair of AMP and DAC that will not underwhelm my headphone but I also don't feel like getting a pair that may be overkill for my entry level monitors.

Budget for amp and dac ideally under $1000 and I am a PC based user if that helps.

Once again, thanks for reading this!
Any suggestions/advice greatly appreciated!

Best,
J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back