Need help, suggestions for a new pair of headphones for my portable rig...
Oct 17, 2012 at 7:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

VisceriousZERO

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently got myself a new portable rig and am now looking for a pair of top-notch headphones to go with them. I've saved up quite a bit so budget won't be a problem.

Here is my portable rig:

iPod Classic 160GB
CLabs AlgoRhytm Solo
ALO Audio Rx MK3-B

Any suggestions are welcome :)

EDIT:

Wanted to add, I prefer my music balanced, with the instruments "popping" out.

Oct 17, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #2 of 11
Something along the lines of Shure.. Maybe some Sennheiser?

What's your price range?

Oct 17, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #4 of 11
along the lines of $500-$1000? I've got enough saved up...

Aldo I travel a lot so I'd go for something more portable.

Save yourself the cash and get the 940's for sure >.> Side by side they outperformed all closed headphones I've heard.

Oct 17, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
along the lines of $500-$1000? I've got enough saved up...

Aldo I travel a lot so I'd go for something more portable.

Maybe the Mad Dogs by Mr. Speakers?

Oct 17, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #6 of 11
Were you thinking of going with a single ended set-up or rewiring for balanced headphone operation?  If the latter, then the Sennheiser HD 650 have separate connectors to both cups... so easy to find balanced cables.  These are on the low end of your price range.  Same story for the Audeze LCD-2s, but those are at top end of your range.  I have a feeling the Audeze's *might* be closer to your musical desires...

I wouldn't say either of these is very portable, of course.  :)  Still I'd be very tempted to take advantage of the balanced capability of your amp, one way or another.

I do pack my HD 650's around.  I remove the cables, stow the headphones in one pocket of my back and loop the cable up in another pocket.  Not outrageous, at least for me.

What about isolation?  If you're commuting on train or bus, or want to use your rig in the library etc., then that might be important.  

Oct 17, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #7 of 11
Were you thinking of going with a single ended set-up or rewiring for balanced headphone operation?  If the latter, then the Sennheiser HD 650 have separate connectors to both cups... so easy to find balanced cables.  These are on the low end of your price range.  Same story for the Audeze LCD-2s, but those are at top end of your range.  I have a feeling the Audeze's *might* be closer to your musical desires...

I wouldn't say either of these is very portable, of course.  :)  Still I'd be very tempted to take advantage of the balanced capability of your amp, one way or another.

I do pack my HD 650's around.  I remove the cables, stow the headphones in one pocket of my back and loop the cable up in another pocket.  Not outrageous, at least for me.

What about isolation?  If you're commuting on train or bus, or want to use your rig in the library etc., then that might be important.  

I might auditon them later, see if they work to my likes :)

Also isolation, i like keeping my music to myself... Its a quiet house and i don't want to make people worry about "loud music" :)

EDIT: I was looking at V-Moda, any good?

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #8 of 11
With isolation and high quality and portability all standing in importance, I wonder if you're open to IEMs?  There's really no better isolation solution, in my experience.  Some of them also admit balanced wiring.  And with your amp you can start off singled ended and try out balanced later on.
You can find some very nice IEMs at or below the $500 mark.  Of course you can easily spend more! 
darthsmile.gif

I have a pair of the less expensive etymotic IEM and it did take a while to find the right fit (small tips?  large tips? foam tips?  large tip on the right and small tip on the left?).  But now that these are comfortable for me -- and that took a few weeks -- they are amazing in their versatility and I use them almost everyday, on the bus, when walking etc.  Supremely portable.  What I learned was that the very high isolation capability really gives a boost to the music when you're in public spaces by closing out so much more external noise.  You can really hear and attend to the music you're playing.... and not the conversation in the next seat or the sound of a big diesel  engine pulling away from the bus stop.

I don't know the V-Moda's, but there is a lot of experienced members here who use these.  I'm sure you'll get lots of info on them.

Edit:  And these totally blow the budget, but just as a data point,  take a look at Steve Guttenberg's review of the FitEar ToGo 334... which he reviewed based on the ALO Rx MkIII amp.  http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57486297-47/the-best-in-ear-headphone-in-the-world-the-fitear-togo-334/   I can't recommend based on personal experience... but the IEMs are super in isolation, portability... and some of them really hit the sound quality out of the park.  Again what I can't tell is whether the musical personality of these things are going to give you the sound 'profile' you prefer.

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #9 of 11
Since I'm in Japan right now, i was able to find a FitEar To Go! 334 available in e-earphone in Akihabara. I got them and the 000 cables mentioned in a website for around $1100.

I must say these do not look like earphones, but instead like hearing aids. I must say though, these iems are AMAZING. Never thought i'd hear clarity like this in iems.

Thank you for the heads up :) really happy with my new iems.

Oct 18, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
Since I'm in Japan right now, i was able to find a FitEar To Go! 334 available in e-earphone in Akihabara. I got them and the 000 cables mentioned in a website for around $1100.  I must say these do not look like earphones, but instead like hearing aids. I must say though, these iems are AMAZING. Never thought i'd hear clarity like this in iems.
Thank you for the heads up
smily_headphones1.gif
really happy with my new iems.

Wow!  Akihabara must be an entirely special place to be able to walk into a shop and find this kind of product.  

So glad these are to your liking... and must admit I am completely jealous.  From my reading, you also got a terrific deal... especially considering you got the package with the 000 cable.  

After you've had them for a while... come back and give us report.  If you can tear yourself away from listening to music.  
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back