Need help soon, buying in next few hours. amp,dt880/600
Apr 6, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #16 of 16

I have the DT880 250 ohm, no way an iPad can drive these to anything like their potential. An amp will be a must. Neither will my Asus Zenbook, but maybe other laptops have higher output.

By the way, I bought my headphones only about a month ago new for $179 shipped after an in-store rebate from Adorama. They are DT880 Pro, though, not DT880 Edition like in your photo. Little bit simpler headband construction, but exactly the same drivers and earpads.

Brian

Just bought em. And yeah, the ipad can't drive them. 

Bought the cmoy too, it does a good enough job at the moment.

They're perfect. I don't think that the earpads need replacement, they're amazingly comfortable as it is. Thats canadian $160, so in today's crappy exchange rate, thats almost 130 USD... I would've liked to own the dt880 leather case, but meh, I'm pretty sure that'd have much more to do with owning it than actually using it. 

I'm pretty sure I haven't stopped smiling for the past hour or so.

My laptop's dac seems to have a little bit of hiss that the cmoy and the dt880 emphasize quite a bit...  Don't have that problem with the ipad or my nexus 4 whatsoever, and i guess thats good enough for me for the moment. Time to start saving up for a little dot. 

Its weird. The only other open back headphones i've ever used are grados. Compared to those, these don't feel that 'open'. I guess that should be expected.

The amount of detail on these is simply blowing me away. 

Also, they arent sibilant whatsoever. Its baffling. 

Its almost like the sibilance had time to attenuate the way it would in a real room, before the sparkly treble detail lands on my air.

Everything is so spacious. There is so much air.

The bass is sufficient. Kinda. The tiniest bit of eq seems to do the trick. A bit of boost up from 60hz to around 120hz, and removing a tiny bit around 6khz seems to make these a little more 'involving', 'immersive', and 'intimate'. idk.  Even without the eq, there's still bass that is pretty deep reaching and its very clearly 'present'.. its never 'drowned out' or anything.

The only complain would be the presentation. That too it'd barely be a complain. But there seems to be something unnatural the way sounds are placed. Some things occasionally seem a bit more 'distant' than i'd like.

Oh, and they reveal so many clicks and tsszsz-es in my badly recorded tracks.. 

I wanna thank everybody for chiming in and helping out. I would've seriously regretted not buying these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back