Need help soon, buying in next few hours. amp,dt880/600
Apr 4, 2015 at 8:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

tquickbrownfox

100+ Head-Fier
So 

There's a Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohm that a friend is selling for $160 without case/packaging/accessories/etc (nothing but headphones). I should totally buy that right? 

He'll throw in a cmoy for another $40. Should I buy the cmoy? 

I do not currently have the budget to buy a tube amp. I absolutely do eventually plan to buy a tube amp. 

Will the cmoy be able to drive the 600 ohm DT880? Will my ipad mini 2?  Will my se215 benefit from the cmoy? will my athm50 benefit from the cmoy? will my alessandro ms1 benefit from the cmoy?

How exactly does a cmoy work? will i be able to connect it to my ipad? will i be able to add it to a focusrite 2i2? will my focusrite 2i4 be able to drive the dt880? will the cmoy be better than a focusrite 2i4? am i better off saving up to a o2?

Guys pls help soon. thx. 

Apr 4, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 16
  So 

There's a Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohm that a friend is selling for $160 without case/packaging/accessories/etc (nothing but headphones). I should totally buy that right? 

I do not currently have the budget to buy a tube amp. I absolutely do eventually plan to buy a tube amp. 

Will the cmoy be able to drive the 600 ohm DT880? Will my ipad mini 2?  Will my se215 benefit from the cmoy? will my athm50 benefit from the cmoy? will my alessandro ms1 benefit from the cmoy?

How exactly does a cmoy work? will i be able to connect it to my ipad? will i be able to add it to a focusrite 2i2? will my focusrite 2i4 be able to drive the dt880? will the cmoy be better than a focusrite 2i4? am i better off saving up to a o2?

Guys pls help soon. thx. 

A setup from a friend. Don't you think you should ask him these questions and listen to the cans on the cmoy at his place??

Apr 4, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #4 of 16
  A setup from a friend. Don't you think you should ask him these questions and listen to the cans on the cmoy at his place??

K, i barely know the guy. I dont. idk why i said a friend. 

I'm gonna get a chance to listen to them. I'm absolutely gonna test them out. I'm looking forward to it. In fact, I'm actually hoping to try out his other higher end gear too (stuff that he's not selling, but hey i want to broaden my horizons).

Here's the thing though, from what I've 'researched', even an ipad can play a dt880/600 loud enough, it'll just sound worse, less damping etc. 

I'm pretty sure that I won't be able to judge then and there whether the cmoy is actually driving it well enough. 

Basically - I'm buying a dt880/600. Should I buy the cmoy for $40? or should i only buy the dt880 now, use it with my ipad, and then buy an audio interface/amp later? 

Apr 4, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #5 of 16
Basically - I'm buying a dt880/600. Should I buy the cmoy for $40? or should i only buy the dt880 now, use it with my ipad, and then buy an audio interface/amp later? 

Depends on what your budget will be later. If it's only going to be $60 or $70, might as well get the CMOY now.

Apr 4, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #6 of 16
Depends on what your budget will be later. If it's only going to be $60 or $70, might as well get the CMOY now.

If not the cmoy, i was gonna save up and get a tube amp, maybe the bravo v3, maybe something better.

But I don't mind doing both. And I'd rather not be stuck for more than a month with a pair of headphones and no amp for them

Will a cmoy at least run the dt880? Or would a cheap fiio do it better? 

Apr 5, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #8 of 16
I wouldn't underestimate the CMoy. A good Cmoy amp is surprisingly good. The biggest issue is usually power. The original design was powered by two 9v batteries, and they don't last very long. You could use rechargeable batteries, but you needed a separate charger. More modern designs (like the JDS Labs CMoyBB) have added recharging circuits and rechargeable batteries, and many of the CMoy available today use only one 9v battery. Is a CMoy better than Fiio E11K? I don't really know - I've never heard them side-by-side with the same headphones.

Apr 5, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #9 of 16
  Is the cmoy worth my time? 

Try the cMoy with the DT880 Premium 600-Ohm headphones.
See how far you have to turn up the volume on the cmoy to drive the headphones to a decent volume.
If the volume control needs to be maxed out to hear the DT880s at a decent volume, then you may not be getting the best from the DT880s.
$160 for DT880 Premium 600-Ohm is a really good price (I think I paid $165 for my DT880 600-Ohm and I was lucky).
One thing you might have to do is buy new ear pads for the headphones (mine need replacing when i bought mine), the ear pads are the model # EDT 990V and your looking at around $34+tax+shipping.
There are decent generic ear pads sold on eBay for around $16-$20, for the DT880, but not as good material quality.

You have to figure that some people think about selling off their headphones when faced with the cost of having to buy new ear pads.

Apr 5, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #10 of 16

Quote:

$160 for DT880 Premium 600-Ohm is a really good price (I think I paid $165 for my DT880 600-Ohm and I was lucky).

Is it a good price though? I'm gonna have to replace the pads, I'm not getting that leather-foam case..  It makes me wanna kinda go back to hunting HD600 deals.

Quote:

One thing you might have to do is buy new ear pads for the headphones (mine need replacing when i bought mine), the ear pads are the model # EDT 990V and your looking at around $34+tax+shipping.
There are decent generic ear pads sold on eBay for around $16-$20, for the DT880, but not as good material quality.

You have to figure that some people think about selling off their headphones when faced with the cost of having to buy new ear pads.

http://i.imgur.com/OPN2Fj0.jpg

What do you think about the condition ? Its a straight cable so I assume its the premium version. 

Thanks for the info about the cmoy, The way I see it now is that if the headphones aren't extremely loud at around 75% gain, I'm not buying the cmoy. But it does baffle me that there isn't anyone oh head-fi who has experience with using a dt880 600 with a cmoy. I mean, its a classic headphone with a classic amp. Kinda. Anyways, Thanks. 

Apr 5, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #11 of 16
But it does baffle me that there isn't anyone oh head-fi who has experience with using a dt880 600 with a cmoy.

I would imagine there probably are some people. But your post title didn't indicate you were looking for info about the CMOY, and it says you needed help within a few hours. So probably not that many people looked at the thread. You might search the DT880 discussion thread to see if someone mentions the CMOY: http://www.head-fi.org/t/429371/the-beyerdynamic-dt880-discussion-thread

Apr 5, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #12 of 16

What do you think about the condition ? Its a straight cable so I assume its the premium version. 

Thanks for the info about the cmoy, The way I see it now is that if the headphones aren't extremely loud at around 75% gain, I'm not buying the cmoy. But it does baffle me that there isn't anyone oh head-fi who has experience with using a dt880 600 with a cmoy. I mean, its a classic headphone with a classic amp. Kinda. Anyways, Thanks. 

The pads dont look much used, so the condition seems to be good. If it works, 160 dollar seems to be a really great deal, if its the 600 Ohm version.
I remember selling mine 2,5 years ago for 230€, when a "new" one did cost 270€.

If you would pay in your country more than 200-230 Dollar, 160 seems very nice, and is worth a buy.. Even if its without that pretty nice bag :/ But your call, if you "need" that.

And yes, it is the "Edition" (Premium is kinda the same, depending how shops call it).
The "Pro" version doesnt have those 2 plates on the sides, on the headband, here the Pro: http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/fileadmin/_migrated/pics/DT880PRO_3c.jpg

About the cmoy: no idea about that ^^"

Apr 5, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #13 of 16

The pads look in good shape,
but the real test is how firm the pads are, after a lot of use pads will lose their firmness.

Apr 5, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #14 of 16
  So 

Guys pls help soon. thx. 

I have the DT880 250 ohm, no way an iPad can drive these to anything like their potential. An amp will be a must. Neither will my Asus Zenbook, but maybe other laptops have higher output.

By the way, I bought my headphones only about a month ago new for $179 shipped after an in-store rebate from Adorama. They are DT880 Pro, though, not DT880 Edition like in your photo. Little bit simpler headband construction, but exactly the same drivers and earpads.

Brian

Apr 6, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #15 of 16

I have the DT880 250 ohm, no way an iPad can drive these to anything like their potential. An amp will be a must. Neither will my Asus Zenbook, but maybe other laptops have higher output.

By the way, I bought my headphones only about a month ago new for $179 shipped after an in-store rebate from Adorama. They are DT880 Pro, though, not DT880 Edition like in your photo. Little bit simpler headband construction, but exactly the same drivers and earpads.

Brian

Just bought em. And yeah, the ipad can't drive them. 

Bought the cmoy too, it does a good enough job at the moment.

They're perfect. I don't think that the earpads need replacement, they're amazingly comfortable as it is. Thats canadian $160, so in today's crappy exchange rate, thats almost 130 USD... I'd have liked to own the leather case, but I'm sure i'd barely ever end up needing it.

I'm pretty sure I haven't stopped smiling for the past hour or so.

My laptop's dac seems to have a little bit of hiss that the cmoy and the dt880 emphasize quite a bit...  Don't have that problem with the ipad or my phone whatsoever, and i guess thats good enough for me for the moment. Time to start saving up for a little dot. 

Its weird. The only other open back headphones i've ever used are grados. Compared to those, these don't feel that 'open'. I guess that should be expected.

The amount of detail on these is simply blowing me away. 

Also, they arent sibilant whatsoever. Its baffling. 

Its almost like the sibilance had time to attenuate the way it would in a real room, before the sparkly treble detail lands on my ear.

Everything is so spacious. There is so much air.

The bass is sufficient. Kinda. The tiniest bit of eq seems to do the trick. A bit of boost up from 60hz to around 120hz, and removing a tiny bit around 6khz seems to make these a little more 'involving', 'immersive', and 'intimate'. idk.  Even without the eq, there's still bass that is pretty deep reaching and its very clearly 'present'.. its never 'drowned out' or anything.

The only complain would be the presentation. That too it'd barely be a complain. But there seems to be something unnatural the way sounds are placed. Some things occasionally seem a bit more 'distant' than i'd like.

Oh, and they reveal so many clicks and tsszsz-es in my badly recorded tracks.. 

I wanna thank everybody for chiming in and helping out. I would've seriously regretted not buying these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back