Need help solving an audio problem and also looking for a sound card
Dec 8, 2014 at 10:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

NilsOlav

Head-Fier
Hello folks. I have a pair of KEF Q300's and an Emotiva Mini-x a-100 amp connected to my PC. I've noticed a slight pull towards the sound of the left speaker since I had them. That speaker sounds slightly louder with more detailed sound. When I switched the speaker wire, the right speaker was then the louder speaker. I tried fixing this first by buying new speaker wire, but the problem persisted. I also ordered a new RCA to 3.5mm adapter to see if that is my problem, so once that arrives in a few days I will know for sure.

I additionally have noticed that once in a while, my sound will cut out and my Windows will alert me that "an audio device has been unplugged" and then the sound will cut back in a few seconds later. So, I figure this is a problem with my 3.5mm connector, or a problem with my onboard sound.

I have been planning to buy a sound card anyways...so, if this problem is not solved with the new RCA to 3.5mm adapter, do you guys have any sound cards you would recommend to ensure I have quality sound and a good connection? I also am looking to produce music, and the sampler I'm looking to buy has "RCA out and a quarter-inch line out". So, if I can hook up both my speakers and the sampler to this sound card, that would be ideal.

Dec 8, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #2 of 10
  Hello folks. I have a pair of KEF Q300's and an Emotiva Mini-x a-100 amp connected to my PC. I've noticed a slight pull towards the sound of the left speaker since I had them. That speaker sounds slightly louder with more detailed sound. When I switched the speaker wire, the right speaker was then the louder speaker. I tried fixing this first by buying new speaker wire, but the problem persisted. I also ordered a new RCA to 3.5mm adapter to see if that is my problem, so once that arrives in a few days I will know for sure.

No need to wait - why not try swapping the Left and Right RCAs now? If the louder channel doesn't move, there's something wrong with the amp; if it does, it could be the cable or the soundcard.

Dec 8, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #3 of 10

No need to wait - why not try swapping the Left and Right RCAs now? If the louder channel doesn't move, there's something wrong with the amp; if it does, it could be the cable or the soundcard.

Hmm. The left channel still sounds deeper/more detailed even when I switch the left and right RCAs. Are you certain that it has to be the amplifier, not my sound card, if this is happening? I remember someone saying there's a device I can test the amplifier with, not sure what that was...

Also, my left speaker is a bit close to the back-left corner of my room, whereas the right speaker is just close to the back of the wall. Could the positioning be causing the left one to sound louder? I've had smaller computer speakers in this room without any problem like this. My room a little less than 100 sq. ft. People on this forum told me the room size wouldn't be a problem with these speakers though.

I am doubting the positioning is the problem since the left speaker sounds lush and deep, like its supposed to, while the right one sounds slightly "whimpy". Vocals and some other parts of music are more focused to the left.

Dec 9, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #4 of 10

Hmm. The left channel still sounds deeper/more detailed even when I switch the left and right RCAs. Are you certain that it has to be the amplifier, not my sound card, if this is happening? I remember someone saying there's a device I can test the amplifier with, not sure what that was...

If you switched the speaker cable and the problematic sound moved, then the problem is upstream from the speakers. If you switched the inputs on the amplifier and it moved, then it's downstream from the soundcard; if it didn't move, then it's either the sound card or the interconnect cable.

Also, my left speaker is a bit close to the back-left corner of my room, whereas the right speaker is just close to the back of the wall. Could the positioning be causing the left one to sound louder? I've had smaller computer speakers in this room without any problem like this. My room a little less than 100 sq. ft. People on this forum told me the room size wouldn't be a problem with these speakers though.

Room size is just one factor for room modes - if one speaker is much closer to the wall or corner than the other then there will be some effects on the speaker. However, didn't the problematic sound move when you swapped speaker cables? I'm guessing you are getting both problems.

I gave up on speakers and got into headphones because the only space I can use them in has the concrete outer wall on the left channel and the right channel is right next to the wood inner wall with the top of the staircase behind it. The sound was more forward and brighter on the left channel.

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #5 of 10
I thought the sound moved when I switched speaker cables a few weeks ago, but I was wrong. I found a better song for testing the sound issue I'm having, and now I notice that its always the left speaker that sound better. I swapped the RCA left and right connection, and the left speakers still sounded deeper. I swapped the speaker wire, and swapped the speakers themselves, and the left speaker stayed louder. So, doing all of these things, the sound still sounded more lush/deep in the left speaker. The amplifier hooks into my PC via a RCA to 3.5mm cable. Since the sound didn't move, I'm guessing it must be the 3.5mm end of the cable that has a problem, or the sound card.

Well, I did order a new RCA to 3.5mm cable, so I'll test that out in a few days.

Dec 15, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #6 of 10
Just plugged in the new RCA/3.5mm stereo cable and the sound problem was not fixed, so it looks like the culprit is the sound card. Does anyone have a link to some really high quality sound cards I could look at? Just needs a 3.5mm stereo input....or would I get better sound using my amp's RCA out and finding a card with RCA input? If not, I'll just go with a very high quality card that has a 3.5mm stereo input. (Earlier I mentioned I needed one with an RCA input for the music sampler I'm getting, but I found out there's a USB adapter that would work just as well)

EDIT: A friend of mine suggested I solve this problem by getting a DAC with a USB connection rather than an audio card, do you guys think that could solve the issue here? He suggested this model:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0078Q35PG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A14FMGGKFTICNN

What do you guys think? I have moved the two speakers around a lot and done extensive testing. I find it odd that the left speaker always has better bass, no matter how many times I swap the speakers, the speaker wire, etc. And I have tested each speaker with both ears to rule out a hearing problem haha.

Dec 15, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #7 of 10
  Just plugged in the new RCA/3.5mm stereo cable and the sound problem was not fixed, so it looks like the culprit is the sound card. Does anyone have a link to some really high quality sound cards I could look at? Just needs a 3.5mm stereo input....or would I get better sound using my amp's RCA out and finding a card with RCA input? If not, I'll just go with a very high quality card that has a 3.5mm stereo input. (Earlier I mentioned I needed one with an RCA input for the music sampler I'm getting, but I found out there's a USB adapter that would work just as well)

EDIT: A friend of mine suggested I solve this problem by getting a DAC with a USB connection rather than an audio card, do you guys think that could solve the issue here? He suggested this model:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0078Q35PG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A14FMGGKFTICNN

What do you guys think? I have moved the two speakers around a lot and done extensive testing. I find it odd that the left speaker always has better bass, no matter how many times I swap the speakers, the speaker wire, etc. And I have tested each speaker with both ears to rule out a hearing problem haha.

If the soundcard is the problem then that should solve the issue, however you said you've swapped everything and the left speaker still sounded "deeper" (and I presume that includes moving them around) so are you sure it's not the speakers?

Dec 15, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #8 of 10

If the soundcard is the problem then that should solve the issue, however you said you've swapped everything and the left speaker still sounded "deeper" (and I presume that includes moving them around) so are you sure it's not the speakers?

Yes, I'm certain its not the speakers. If the problem still persists after I get the DAC, then I'll know for sure its just the room placement causing the problem. Since I am having those errors where Windows says "an audio device was disconnected" every now and then, I am guessing the onboard sound is the culprit. I'll borrow my friend's multimeter and test my amplifier before I buy the DAC though.

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #9 of 10
FOR THOSE WHO HAVE THIS PROBLEM EVER:

I solved it simply by hooking my speakers up to my computer with a Behringer UCA202. Like, you guys have no idea. Not only the balance problem was fixed, but my music all sounds WAY BETTER. I feel like I'm truly hearing these speakers for the first time. The speaker jack or my onboard audio must have been so horrible, it was definitely the cause of my balance issue. And this was done with what is probably the cheapest DAC you can get for a computer. My sound kept sounding pushed to the left before, and now it sounds like its coming from the center behind my computer monitor, and I am rejoicing!

But now I have a new problem, I might make a new thread for it if nobody here can help me.... I originally bought the Behringer UCA202 to hook up a sampler to my computer, but I decided to try testing it out as a DAC first, and obviously I love it is a DAC since it solved my problem...

How does the BOSS SP-202 plug into the UCA202? Currently the RCA outputs on my Behringer UCA202 are occupied to connect my speakers to my computer, leaving only the RCA inputs open on the Behringer...is that how my BOSS SP-202 hooks up? It has RCA outputs on it.

Jan 16, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #10 of 10
  FOR THOSE WHO HAVE THIS PROBLEM EVER:

I solved it simply by hooking my speakers up to my computer with a Behringer UCA202. Like, you guys have no idea. Not only the balance problem was fixed, but my music all sounds WAY BETTER. I feel like I'm truly hearing these speakers for the first time. The speaker jack or my onboard audio must have been so horrible, it was definitely the cause of my balance issue. And this was done with what is probably the cheapest DAC you can get for a computer. My sound kept sounding pushed to the left before, and now it sounds like its coming from the center behind my computer monitor, and I am rejoicing!

Well at least you're sure now it wasn't the speakers - likely a loose solder on the mobo. I used a set-up like that before with an Ibasso D-Zero and Swans D1080 MkII 08.

But now I have a new problem, I might make a new thread for it if nobody here can help me.... I originally bought the Behringer UCA202 to hook up a sampler to my computer, but I decided to try testing it out as a DAC first, and obviously I love it is a DAC since it solved my problem...

How does the BOSS SP-202 plug into the UCA202? Currently the RCA outputs on my Behringer UCA202 are occupied to connect my speakers to my computer, leaving only the RCA inputs open on the Behringer...is that how my BOSS SP-202 hooks up? It has RCA outputs on it.

I'm not sure but aren't you supposed to hook up the SP-202 betwen the UCA-202 and the speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back