Need help setting up my FiiO E9.
May 4, 2012 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Minosmal

New Head-Fier
So i'm trying to setup my FiiO E9. I've searched threads and couldn't find an answer to my specific questions.

I'm just curious what cables i need to hook it up. I have some images to illustrate what i mean, here's the back of the FiiO, and here's the back of my computer's sound card. Please forgive the sound nub question but what cable do i need to connect the FiiO into the back of my computer? I would assume the standard red/black, but i dont have red/black outputs on the back of my computer.

Also, here's the back of my computer surround system, is there anyway i can get the three all working together so when i plug my headphones in my amp, the speakers switch over? I'm having the same issue of not having the same colored plugins from the FiiO to my computer and on the back of my surround system. I'm about to head down to the local electronics merchant in town and am at a loss of what sorts of cables i need to set all this up. Thanks!

May 4, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #2 of 7
You connect your headphones to the front of the E9. The RCA and other outputs are for if you are connecting it to another amplifier. The computer connects through the USB port.

You don't need any cables.

May 4, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the reply. Hmm, i connect it to my usb and it almost doesn't... detect it or anything. I know the device is working fine, it lights up and power is going to it and everything, but when i hook it to my USB it's like my computer doesn't want to recognize it.

May 4, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #4 of 7
Ah, the USB DAC function only works with the E7 docked in it.

If you are using it purely as an amplifier, then you will want to connect a M/M 3.5mm cable to your audio out on the back of your PC (I believe either the green or black 3.5mm plug, the same place that your plug in your headphones). You might want to check the motherboard instruction manual to find out. And the other end of the cable to the "line in" on the back of the E9.

This is the type of cable that you want:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021812&p_id=5577&seq=1&format=2

May 4, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #5 of 7
Yep that was it. I headed down to bestbuy and picked up that cable and got the amp working.

Only thing now, is i got a bit of weird interference when there's no sound coming out. I think the cable that i got might be old or something, it's this weird, really quiet "pittering" in the background. Probably a bad cable im assuming.

May 5, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #6 of 7
Nope, it's (unfortunately) not a bad cable, my friend. But don't worry, it's completely normal.

Because the amp is connected directly to your PC, internal case noise will also be heard (transported along cable). That's one of the things a USB DAC avoids. It doesn't connect through the audio port, it connects through USB, so it is essentially an external sound card, avoiding any internal noises. (as well as other benefits: better sound quality, etc.)

Unfortunately, if you want to avoid these noises, you will need a USB DAC. You could also try any other audio ports you may have on your PC to see if the sounds are diminished. (such as a front port as opposed to a rear port.) If you don't mind, then you could just try to ignore it. Just know that you always have the option to get a USB DAC.

Welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet.

May 5, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #7 of 7
Yup, you're right, it wasn't the cable. Unfortunately i headed out before i could check back on the post and got a higher grade 3.5mm cable (i suppose it doesn't hurt, didn't cost any more except a quick trip to the store.)

I ended up coming back with the new cable, returned the old one, plugged in the new higher quality cable and still had the interference, then randomly unplugged the usb cable connecting the device to the PC and it fixed it. So yeah, just like u said it definitely was the USB causing it. Maybe it's because i didn't have anything like an ipod or whatever plugged into the slot on top of it?

At any rate your help got it up and running, no interference and it sounds great. Thanks very much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back