Need help setting up 2.1 system - No highs being output
Jun 29, 2013 at 3:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

HaakonXCI

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm having some trouble with my new system. It's a 2.1 setup with this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015A8Y5M/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005F3H6Q8/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 .

So the problem occurs when there's supposed to be highs in movies. Things like talking at all is almost muted and screeching tires sounds like nothing.

My subwoofer's phase is set to 0 degrees and the crossover is set to 80 degrees.

How would I go about fixing this?

Jun 29, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 18
What source is this plugged into?
Are you using the RCA connection or the sub-woofer audio terminals? on the BIC America.

Jun 29, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:
This is using the RCA "sub in" connection using the white connector.

So I'm assuming your hooking the sub-woofer up to a receiver?

Jun 29, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:
No, to my PC's output jacks using 3.5mm. Sorry I didn't say that before.

PC audio is not really designed to work with the way you have stuff cabled.
your try to output a 3-channel signal from something (computer audio hardware) that does not have a 3-channel setting, just 2, 4, 6, 8 channels (computer audio).
You might be able to find an external device, that takes a 2-channel analog audio signal and redirects what might be consider the lower end (sub-woofer) audio signal to a sub-woofer.

Or just do not use the sub-woofer

Jun 29, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #7 of 18
I found that by setting the Realtek settings to 5.1 and then VLC to Stereo, I get some bass but not nearly as much as before when it was on 5.1. I suppose it'll do for now though. Would you recommend getting a soundcard that might help fix this issue? Or what external device would do such a thing?

edit: This mainly just happens with movies that have a 5.1 audio channel. Music seems to be fine.

Jun 29, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:
I found that by setting the Realtek settings to 5.1 and then VLC to Stereo, I get some bass but not nearly as much as before when it was on 5.1. I suppose it'll do for now though. Would you recommend getting a soundcard that might help fix this issue? Or what external device would do such a thing?

edit: This mainly just happens with movies that have a 5.1 audio channel. Music seems to be fine.

For most computers outputing to a 2.1 setup, they usually use the computer audio's 2.0 channel setting.
So when you set your computer audio to 5.1 (6-channel), your computer is expecting you to have 2 front speakers, 2 rear speakers, 1 center channel (voice), 1 sub-woofer.
So I can see you having "funny" audio problems.

Can't find an affortable device to fix your problem.

Computer sound card are not designed for your "3-channel" situation

Jun 30, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #9 of 18
For most computers outputing to a 2.1 setup, they usually use the computer audio's 2.0 channel setting.
So when you set your computer audio to 5.1 (6-channel), your computer is expecting you to have 2 front speakers, 2 rear speakers, 1 center channel (voice), 1 sub-woofer.
So I can see you having "funny" audio problems.

Can't find an affortable device to fix your problem.

Computer sound card are not designed for your "3-channel" situation

Agreed. Windows sound just does not have a 2.1 output like you need for this setup.

The F12 really isn't a good choice for pairing with your M-Audios. Its single channel sub input is designed to work with an AVR which will have an LFE subwoofer out. If you had a different sub with left and right RCA inputs, you could split the right and left channels out of your soundcard to go to both the sub and the speakers.

Or if you were running passive speakers with an amp of some kind, you could use the F12 to run speaker out from the amp to the sub speaker level inputs, and then from the sub speaker out to the speakers.

Sorry. But either way, you have to return something to Amazon.

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #10 of 18
What if I were to just get 2 more speakers to complete the 5.1 setup? Or is there a way to force the rear speakers in the realtek manager to play through the front speakers to solve the missing audio issue?

Also I found out that if I set the config to 5.1, then set VLC to stereo channel, it works but the bass just isn't as loud.

If I were to get 2 more speakers I was thinking about going cheap just to fill in the missing audio with a pair of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836116035

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #11 of 18
For 5.1, you need a left, right, center, two rear speakers, and a sub. So you need 3 more speakers.

Assuming you could find a single BX5 D2 for sale to go with another pair, and that you have room to setup another BX5 vertically as a center under/over your monitor, that would put you around $750 into powered speakers. Might be better to think about an AVR and 5 passive speakers with that kind of budget.

Alternatively, you could ship the BIC F12 back and get a Polk PSW505 from Amazon. Considered comparable to the BIC F12. It has left/right RCA inputs, so you could use the method I described above for splitting the left and right output from the computer to go to the BX5s and the sub.

Jun 30, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #13 of 18
Well, for movie watching, if you have HDMI out on your computer, that can handle bluray HD quality audio. If you don't have that but have digital optical out, that can handle DVD quality audio.

Accessories4less.com has factory refurbished/factory warrantied Denon 1612 receivers. Got great reviews for an entry level receiver: http://www.hometheater.com/content/denon-avr-1612-av-receiver. With that, you could go ahead and run 2 passive speakers and the F12 until you could buy the rest of the surround setup.

Jun 30, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #15 of 18
If your computer has optical out or HDMI out, you don't necessarily need to use the Xonar DG. Are you getting it for headphone usage? For gaming?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back