Need help selecting my next pair of full sized headphones
Aug 10, 2013 at 12:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Arbakadarba

New Head-Fier
As for now I am switching between the HD25-II and DT770 80 ohm.

I love the Beyerdynamics comfort and build quality, but I am not satisfied with the sound. It is OK for short listening periodes, but after a while I get really tired of the veil bass.

On the other hand I love the Sennheisers sound, but here the problem is comfort. One or two hour is OK, but not more. An other problem is the split headband and the swirl of the left cup. When taking the headphones on and of a lot it is just too annoying to have to adjust it all the time.

My new set of headphones should have the clear, crisp sound of the HD25 and the comfort of the DT770. When I say I want the sound from the HD25 I do not meen identical, as they are not perfect, and I would expect more from a full sized headphone, but something with the same signature. I also like the sound of Shure SE315 if that can help narrow it down.

Open or closed is not important. I am willing to buy a amplifier, but I do not want headphones that really need the best of the best to reach its potensial.

When it comes to price range, I have not decided yet, but up to $ 400 + amp should be OK...just don't tell my wife.

Aug 10, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #2 of 16
You should check out the Mr. Speakers Mad Dog. It's the most comfortable headphone I've ever tried. Been a while since I've heard a Senn HD25 but I think the Mad Dog probably beats it by a mile in terms of sound quality. Their frequency response is pretty similar.

See if you can pick up a used pair, and then I'd go with a Magni/Modi Amp/Dac combo to start with. That'll keep you under $400 and sound fantastic.

Just my 2 cents.

Aug 10, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #4 of 16
Thank you for the answers, I will take it into consideration even though the availability where I live is pretty limited. To get a pair of MAd Dogs I will have to pay a considerable amount for shipping, taxes and VAT.

Aug 10, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #7 of 16
Have you looked into the DT880? More balanced sound (but still decent bass) than the DT770 with better clarity. I thought the soundstage was a little better too. Got an excellent rating in the Battle of the Flagship reviews: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13.

DT880 Premium 250 are only £229.99 on Amazon UK. Then put the rest of your budget into a nice amp, or amp/dac, depending on what you have already.

Aug 10, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #8 of 16
Also worth looking into the ZMF modifed Fostex. Significantly less than Mr. Speakers MAD Dogs: http://www.head-fi.org/t/667870/review-zmf-modified-fostex-t50rp-superb

Aug 10, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #9 of 16
The DT880 250 ohm will set me back $355 from my local store, and seems to have a really good quality to price ratio. Then I will also get norwegian warranty, which is far better then most other countries.

Aug 10, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #11 of 16
That's great that you can buy them locally. Do they have a good return policy so you can try them out? If so, that would work out well. I thought the DT880s did really benefit from an amplifier, so keep that in mind if you don't have one yet. But the 250 ohm should work well in an audio/video receiver or stereo receiver if you have that. Receivers usually are pretty good at driving higher impedance headphones (although maybe not 600 ohm headphones).

You might also see if there is a break in price on the DT880 Pro 250 Ohm if you are looking at the Premiums. Supposedly the difference in sound is very minor.

Aug 11, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #12 of 16
Thanks. I think I will try them out. I do not have any amp for them (except for Fiio e6), but I have lots of stereo receiver I can try to pair them with.

Which version should I buy?

32 ohm = $341

250 ohm = $355

600 ohm = $341

So the price it not a factor in my choice, but I guess I will need a more expencive amp to give the 600 ohm enough power. Is it worth it?

Any suggestions when it comes to a DAC and amp, preferably combined in one product?

Aug 11, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #13 of 16
Which version should I buy?

32 ohm = $341

250 ohm = $355

600 ohm = $341

So the price it not a factor in my choice, but I guess I will need a more expencive amp to give the 600 ohm enough power. Is it worth it?

Best bet for these types of questions is to do some reading around in and ask questions in the DT880 appreciation thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/429371/the-beyerdynamic-dt880-appreciation-discussion-thread. Be a lot of DT880 owners there to help you make the best decision. :)

Any suggestions when it comes to a DAC and amp, preferably combined in one product?

What's your budget?

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #15 of 16
How will the Aune T1/X1 perform? Will it have enough power to drive the 600 ohm version? I can get the X1 for $205 and the T1 for $250.

I would pick the headphones first, then worry about the DAC/amp since your needs/wants may change. Whether to go solid state or tube amp will depend on how you like the headphones you get. You may decided to stick with solid state for the clarity/neutrality of the amp. Or you might decide to go with a little warmth and coloring with a tube amp.

Once you have found the headphones you like, then find the active appreciation/owners threads like the one I linked to above for the DT880s (I find it easy to search using google with the headphone model number and the term head-fi to find threads). Then you can ask other owners what they are running :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back