Need help selecting from these headphones..
May 26, 2005 at 2:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

goodsound

100+ Head-Fier
After a little browsing and searching I have narrowed it down to these 'phones(in random order). From here, I need a little push from you to steer me into the right direction.
FWIW - I will be mostly using these with a portable CD player - (yet to be decided but will be something in the sub-$100 range, until then its an aging sony D-191) - and also with a PC that has a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card. And I am upgrading from a MDR-V300.

I dont listen at high volumes nor do I need overwhelming bass, but I sure like a tad bit more bass from my phones.

Beyerdynamic DT231
Koss KSC-35
AKG 24/26
Sennheiser PX100, PX200

Budget - I'd like to keep it at about $50.
Please feel free to throw in your ideas for any others that might be worth considering. I am sure I must have missed a few.

Thank You!

May 26, 2005 at 3:04 PM Post #2 of 14
The DT231s are amazing headphones. I can't offer a comparison to any of the other headphones, but they certainly sound great for the price, IMO.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2005 at 3:05 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Beyerdynamic DT231
Koss KSC-35
AKG 24/26
Sennheiser PX100, PX200

You did some hw here. All of these cans should have the bass you need. I would first divide them up like this however:

Closed
Beyer DT231
AKG K26P
Senn PX200

Open
Koss KSC-35
AKG K24P
Senn PX100

Do you need isolation? (ie, where will you be using them, and how important is noise leakage and/or being able to hear outside sound to you?)

May 26, 2005 at 3:08 PM Post #4 of 14
A surely safe recommandation: PX100

A nearly safe recommandation: AKG K26P

smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2005 at 3:13 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
A surely safe recommandation: PX100

A nearly safe recommandation: AKG K26P

smily_headphones1.gif

x2 for the PX100 because it has lots of bass, gets the most playtime, and it is still the most comfortable thing that has ever rested on my head. I often forget it's even on.

May 26, 2005 at 3:29 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by goodsound
After a little browsing and searching I have narrowed it down to these 'phones(in random order). From here, I need a little push from you to steer me into the right direction.
FWIW - I will be mostly using these with a portable CD player - (yet to be decided but will be something in the sub-$100 range, until then its an aging sony D-191) - and also with a PC that has a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card. And I am upgrading from a MDR-V300.

I dont listen at high volumes nor do I need overwhelming bass, but I sure like a tad bit more bass from my phones.

Beyerdynamic DT231
Koss KSC-35
AKG 24/26
Sennheiser PX100, PX200

Budget - I'd like to keep it at about $50.
Please feel free to throw in your ideas for any others that might be worth considering. I am sure I must have missed a few.

Thank You!

Ah, but if isolation is not an issue, perhaps the wallet can be tweaked an extra $19 for some Grado SR 60's.
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 26, 2005 at 3:55 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
x2 for the PX100 because it has lots of bass, gets the most playtime, and it is still the most comfortable thing that has ever rested on my head. I often forget it's even on.

I have to echo Gshan's comments here. For an open can, the price and performance cannot be beat. Just the other day, I was heading out from work. On the elevator down, my ears began to depressurize. All of a sudden I noticed a vibrating noise coming from my right can. My first thought, of course, was to curse Senns to high heaven and stomp on my newly acquired cans. I was under the impression, something came loose in the can and it would be unfixable. The piano guy in our lobby completely drowned out my efforts at a closer inspection so I had to walk to the other side of the lobby. I was listening to Musiq thinking, "there is no way Musiq bassed my headphones into oblivion, I mean come on!" Upon closer inspection, it didn't sound like rattling anymore. It was the gentle strum of a guitar in timing with the bass.
eggosmile.gif

So, I got to walk home and into Starbucks with a nice grin on my face. The moral of this story is: good headphone for the price. Excellent comfort too!Thank you.
lambda.gif

May 26, 2005 at 4:33 PM Post #11 of 14
might want to add a portapro or KSC75 to your list.

KSC75 would be my choice.

Agree on the SR60. If you can pony up an extra $20, go that route and never look back.

Garrett

May 26, 2005 at 5:30 PM Post #12 of 14
Wow! thanks for all the responses you guys are great!

Hmm..so looks like the PX100 is gaining ground.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
Do you need isolation? (ie, where will you be using them, and how important is noise leakage and/or being able to hear outside sound to you?)

Not really. I listen in fairly quiet environments (work, home).

Garett, I knew the 75 would come up. I wasnt sure about the clip on - whether I will be ok with that type of arrangement or not but if I can get my hands on one I will definitely try them.

Can someone give a quick rundown of the PX100 and SR-60 - kinda like comparing the sound characteristics of both in terms of extension, bass(quality), mid, treble, sensitivity, comfort, etc... or does the sr-60 beat the px100 in all respects..?

I know this is not the equivalent of listening to both and deciding myself but it will surely help a lot!

Thanks!

May 26, 2005 at 5:55 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by goodsound
Wow! thanks for all the responses you guys are great!

Hmm..so looks like the PX100 is gaining ground.

Not really. I listen in fairly quiet environments (work, home).

Garett, I knew the 75 would come up. I wasnt sure about the clip on - whether I will be ok with that type of arrangement or not but if I can get my hands on one I will definitely try them.

Can someone give a quick rundown of the PX100 and SR-60 - kinda like comparing the sound characteristics of both in terms of extension, bass(quality), mid, treble, sensitivity, comfort, etc... or does the sr-60 beat the px100 in all respects..?

I know this is not the equivalent of listening to both and deciding myself but it will surely help a lot!

Thanks!

I have the PX 200 and the SR-60, so my comparison is not exact. My take is that the PX 100 and 200s are designed to mimic the sound of high-quality cans in a highly portable manner (very lightweight, foldable, comfortable, etc). AKG does this as well with their 24p and 26P. But then the Grado SR-60 is the entry level Grado can, which takes you down one of the dark/expensive paths towards true high quality cans. Grado is always thought of as great for rock -- very upfront and punchy. I agree with that, and they are just much more FUN than my PX 200s. Some people don't find them too comfortable -- that is a personal matter.

So, the PX 200 may be more of an all-arounder (rock, jazz, classical) and are more portable, but the SR-60's are great cans at a very good price point.

Hope that helps.....
plainface.gif

May 26, 2005 at 9:37 PM Post #14 of 14
I second the opinion that you should go with an open can if you don't need isolation.
I'm not terribly impressed with the PX 100 and consider it to be something of a FOTM.
I would recommend the KSC-35/75 or the SR-60; three phones that offer the best bang for the buck and arguably the "Gold Standards" for price and performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back