Need help selecting an amp for my set up!
Apr 6, 2015 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Selfish Android

Head-Fier
Hello guys, long time lurker here.

Well right now my setup consists in a Fiio E10K, Sennheiser HD558 and Grado SR325e, i wanted to change my fiio e10k and get a schiit stack Modi2 + Magni2, but after reading a lot of threads here, i came to the conclusion that i might want to get a tube amp for my Grados, i heard that the Little Dot I+ is a good match for sensitive headphones like the Grados, or even the HD558 they are only 50ohm

anyway guys what would you do? in the case of getting the Little Dot i would keep the E10K and use it just as a DAC, if i get the schitt stack i would obviously replace the entire thing.

by the way i started looking for options because i don't like how my grados sound on the e10k, idk if its just me but they kinda sound better without it when i use them on my iphone.

Apr 6, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #3 of 11
The Little Dot I+ is a good match for low impedance headphones (not necessarily sensitive) compared to many other tube amps because it's a hybrid solid state/tube amp. So yes. You are right, but for the wrong reason.

Will the Little Dot I+ be better than the Magni 2? That's a personal preference thing. Some people like the tube sound better; some don't.

What don't you like about how your Grados sound with E10K vs. your phone?

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #4 of 11
Hey thank you for the reply's.

My budget is around 200$

About the e10k, idk, the sound is not as detailed, and i feel my Grados brighter with the e10k, i just dont really like how they sound when i turn up the volume.

i think i will buy the Little Dot so i can taste different sounds just changing the tubes, are there other tube amps that pair well with low impedance headphones like Grados in the same price range as the Little Dot I+?

what about the Schiit Vali, that's a hybrid right?

Apr 6, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #5 of 11
  what about the Schiit Vali, that's a hybrid right?

Vali is pretty nice.  Works well with plenty of headphones, gives a nice touch of warm, but can be a little noisy (low level hiss) and others have found it microphonic (not my experience).

For the price, I think Vali is a steal.  Definitely worth considering.

Apr 10, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #6 of 11

Vali is pretty nice.  Works well with plenty of headphones, gives a nice touch of warm, but can be a little noisy (low level hiss) and others have found it microphonic (not my experience).

For the price, I think Vali is a steal.  Definitely worth considering.

I have seen that the Vali is not a pretty good match for Grados, and the tubes are not interchangeable, that's a huge let down for me since i want to roll some tubes, its a shame because i really like the presentation of Schiit products.

so at the end, i think im getting the Little Dot I+ with standart tubes, then change my e10k which i would be using just as a DAC, and replace it with the Schiit Modi 2, afterwards i will start rolling some tubes.

Is that setup fine? Schiit Modi 2 + Little Dot I+ + Grado SR325e and Sennheiser HD558

Apr 10, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #7 of 11
The Little Dot I+ is a good amp for the money. Whether or not you will like it better than some other choice for your headphones, only you can decide :)

Apr 10, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #8 of 11
The Little Dot I+ is a good amp for the money. Whether or not you will like it better than some other choice for your headphones, only you can decide
smily_headphones1.gif

I'ts a shame that there is no place around me where i can audition any amp or headphones, in my country you can only find Beats knock offs and overpriced Boses.

Apr 10, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #9 of 11
I used to own the Little Dot I+, but ended up preferring solid state instead. Unfortunately, you are right. There really isn't anyway to guess on that decision. However, I definitely think you are making the right choice with the Little Dot over the Vali because why give up the ability to tweak the sound by changing tubes?

Apr 10, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #10 of 11
Any amp that has a history of microphonics and noise I avoid outright, Vali is one example.  There are too many good, clean sounding amps out there to pick from that don't have a history of this.

+1 vote for the LD1+... If I didn't have a Millet hybrid already the LD1+ would be on my list.

Apr 10, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #11 of 11

I have seen that the Vali is not a pretty good match for Grados, and the tubes are not interchangeable, that's a huge let down for me since i want to roll some tubes, its a shame because i really like the presentation of Schiit products.

Just on my experience with Grados and Vali separately, I think it probably would be a decent match if it wasn't for the hiss being made worse by the Grado's high sensitivity.  Of course, I'm just speculating here.

Honestly, if you want a good tube amp that works with your cans and allows for good tube rolling, you may wish to save up.

Any amp that has a history of microphonics and noise I avoid outright, Vali is one example.  There are too many good, clean sounding amps out there to pick from that don't have a history of this.

Fair enough, though I will say for those where it isn't a deal breaker, Vali is definitely a must listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back