Need help selecting a sound card for my Ad700s.
Jul 30, 2013 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Irishsunburn

New Head-Fier
I bought a pair of ad700s a while ago and haven't gotten a sound card for them yet. I'm looking to use them mostly for games such as battlefield 3. Since I'm going to be using them mostly for gaming and care more about the positional accuracy than the actual sound of the game. I'm wondering how much of a difference having one sound card over another can make. I was looking at the xonar DG which comes with dolby headphone. Would there be any difference in positional accuracy (surround sound) in games if I bought a much more expensive sound card with dolby headphone over this one. The xonar DG is 30$ mind you. I'm on a pretty tight budget for the moment. Also which of the digital surround processing technologies is the best? If something other then dolby digital is better could you suggest a sound card under 50$ with that technology? 

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #2 of 5
The Asus Xonar DG is about the best you can do for $30 (and there is a $10 mail in rebate during the month of July).

The Creative Labs Sound blaster Titanium (non-HD) sells used for around $50, should do a good job with FPS gaming.

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #3 of 5
theres one thing I'm really wondering about but cant seem to find an answer for. I have heard about higher end sound cards making differences in music audio, movie audio, ect.... But is getting one sound card with dolby surround better then getting another one? Im just talking about specifically surround sound. Is there really an advantage? Or is dolby surround just dolby surround.

Jul 31, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
There's one thing I'm really wondering about but cant seem to find an answer for. I have heard about higher end sound cards making differences in music audio, movie audio, ect.... But is getting one sound card with Dolby surround better then getting another one? I'm just talking about specifically surround sound. Is there really an advantage? Or is Dolby Surround just Dolby surround.

Except for 5.1 or 7.1, I doubt there is much difference between Dolby Headphone on a $30 DG or a $175 Xonar Essence STX

Users who are viewing this thread

Back