Need help selecting a pair of $200 closed headphones!
Mar 4, 2011 at 9:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Jaygat

New Head-Fier
I posted this earlier on headfonia but I would also appreciate head-fi's opinion on my predicament.  

I'm looking for a pair of closed headphones at the $200 range and I can't decide between all the options! I listen to mostly hip hop and pop music but I also enjoy the occasional electronic or acoustic song. I'm having a really tough time choosing between the TMA-1s, the HD25-1s, the ATH m50s, and the AKG K181djs.

The specific questions I would have are: How is the clarity on the TMA1s? I keep hearing that they have a very "dark" sound but I'm not too sure if that means muffled or lacking in detail or clarity. I tend to enjoy headphones that have a good PRaT and are detailed. I guess I really enjoy hearing things in songs that I haven't heard before. Thats the big problem I have in choosing between the HD25s and the TMAs because although I've heard that the HD25s are clearer due to their brighter presentation, I keep hearing that the drivers are showing age and the TMA-1s could provide more detail. The ath m50s come in because they seem to be the standard headphone at my price range and they seem to combine the clarity of the HD25s with the detail of the TMAs, but I can't help wondering if their lower price means that they are somehow lacking. the AKG k181djs were considered due to their similarity to the HD25s. 

Choosing between all these headphones is making my head spin and it doesn't help that most TMA-1 reviews on forums feel a lot like FOTM reviews @_@.  I am also not too sure what "musicality" is.  I checked the glossary but I'm still not too sure.

I would really appreciate your input! Thanks so much in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back