Need Help Selecting a Monitor Speaker
Jan 14, 2015 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

pfgray2008

New Head-Fier
I could use some advice on speaker selection; I’m looking for a pair monitor speaker for my computer workstation.  I’ve searched high and low on this forum and a few web searches looking for suggestions. I must admit I’m a complete novice when comes to understanding audio specifications and materials. However I’m doing my homework on the subject but I thought I’d try enlisting some help from the community. I will be primarily using them for causal listening with my PC and eventual DAC setup in a 10 X 10 room. Ideal I would love to demo as many models and a brand as I can however finding a retailer in my area is waste of time. Thank god for the web, and online sales! My listening preferences are classical, electronica, EDM, Trance etc. As far as price point goes I prefer to stay under $3000.00. I’ve assembled a list of candidate’s, #1 being first choice? So what do you all think?

• Adam Audio Artist 5
  • Emotiva Airmotiv 6S
  • M-Audio M3-6
  • Swan HiVi M100MKll & M200MKlll
  • Audioengine A5+

Jan 14, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #2 of 7
Genelec is also a good monitor brand.

Eliminate Audioengine given your budget.

You should also buy a sub to get the best sound given your listening interests.

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #3 of 7
I've got ADAMs and couldn't be happier. So I'm a bit biased.

Given your budget and room size I reckon your best bet is a pair of Neumann KH120

http://www.neumann-kh-line.com/neumann-kh/home_en.nsf/root/prof-monitoring_studio-monitors_nearfield-monitors_KH120A#

They do a digital version, like the ADAM artist range, as well.

Check out the reviews. They are so good it's almost embarrassing.

Hold off on the sub-woofer for now. In a room that size a cheap sub is more likely to make things worse rather than better. If  you really must have one get 2 when you can afford it.

For the money you have available you should also be looking at EVE, Focal, Dynaudio and even, like the guy above suggests, Genelec as well as ADAM for a comparison.

Jan 16, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #5 of 7
$3000????

Go for Event or Genlec studio monitors.

Now if you mean $300 LOL, then go for JBL's, Yamaha.

Do a google search for best budget studio monitor... you'll get lists of which to buy.

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #6 of 7
Focal solo 6BE or Adam A7x, then save the rest of your budget for your DAC/interface.  You will never look back, trust me.

$3k is a HUGE amount of cash however to dump on nearfield speakers, you can spend half that and get some very nice monitors.  As CEL suggested Genelec's would also be worth looking into or perhaps EVENT Opals or the KH120's that RD mentioned. 

You really want to save about 10-20% of your budget for your DAC/Interface.... personally I used 20% of my total budget to cover isolation pads, cables and interface.  

I cannot say this any more seriously DO NOT buy without listening first, you find a speaker too sibilant for your tastes you will have a headache after an hour.  Even a short demo is often not enough, its worth making a day trip to a supplier and asking their advice.  I spent maybe 2 months researching before I pulled the trigger on my ADAM's, and I was happy to pay $20 more to the store I bought them from for some wonderful advice, cups of coffee and many hours in a comfy chair in a listening room..  I know this is not possible for lots of people but the internet is a great tool for finding people.  Look for maybe a local studio or a home recording artist that is not too far away.  Over the last 5 years I have met dozens of like minded people and had a great time sharing music and gear.  As your post suggests you cant get to a store, make sure you find a supplier that has a good returns policy, but bear in mind monitors are HEAVY and will cost a lot to return should you need to.

HTH

Apr 9, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #7 of 7
Here's a recommendation that you probably haven't considered, but is probably one of the better choices in your budget range:
The Pitone Lab Sigma-M. Very sleek wooden body design and extremely high quality well aligned Eton drivers.
Make sure to get a nice amplifier for them, like the Parasound HCA-500 for example.
Picture of them installed at my studio in Sochi:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back