Need help salvaging an 80GB iPod 5.5G
Jan 29, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by EchoRepairs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has this worked out... As im still intrested?

It works fine with the microdrive so far, but apparently the 1GB CF card I have isn't ATA compatible or whatever. The microdrive is essentially a CF card that's a hard drive instead of flash memory. Does anyone know how much faster it will be with a CF card instead of a microdrive?

Jan 30, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #17 of 24
I ended up doing a hard drive swap with my 30GB Zune since it's easy to get open. I'll probably put a CF card in the 30GB Zune (probably an 8GB) and give it to my dad. So, my next task is to see how well the 30GB (formerly 80GB) 5.5G iPod works out. I'm a bit uncomfortable about paying $80 for a 32GB CF card right now, but I'm also a bit uncomfortable about paying $60 or so for a used hard drive off ebay. This swap seems to be working fine for now.

Oh, I think the battery in the iPod is toast now
angry_face.gif
. It doesn't want to charge, even in disk mode, and it gives me "very low battery" when hooked up to my computer. I swapped that battery out with the one in my 30GB Zune, and it works fine for now. It's like my iPod is 30% Zune now.

My 80GB hard drive out of the iPod seems to have some bad sectors (apparently a whole bunch of them). Is there any way I can revive this with software or is it just plain toast?

Feb 5, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #18 of 24
Got a new battery, but it's even worse now. It'll load up for about half a second, then click and shut off. When I hook it up to a charger, it'll work fine, but shut off about 5 seconds after I unhook it. Did the logic board go bad on me? That sucks because I was really careful with it.

Feb 5, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by stingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude, just look on ebay or amazon for a used 5-5.5G. They are pretty cheap and it would be far less aggravating for you.

Dude, I got this one off ebay. It worked fine until about a week ago, so what's to say the same thing won't happen again? I got it because I thought it would be an easy fix (like my 60GB Photo), but it just didn't work out that way. I'm only out about $38, so I guess it's not too bad.

I bought a recertified 8GB Fuze from Newegg. That with a 32GB micro SD card (when they come out) and Rockbox would probably work better anyway.

Feb 9, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #21 of 24
Meh, looks like they jacked up the price on that Dane-elec card another 30 bucks, so I guess it's not longer that great of a deal. How did the card end up working out for you guys who did order them when they were 41 bucks?

Feb 10, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #22 of 24
Feb 11, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #23 of 24
Feb 12, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #24 of 24
Wow, nice find. Thanks so much, cause I was saving up to get that harddrive eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back