Need help replace woo wes choke by ccs
Nov 29, 2011 at 9:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Birdoffice

Member of the Trade: Mezzo Soprano (Thailand)
CCS is constant current source spritzer feedback on my post for woo wes choke replacement
http://www.head-fi.org/t/570050/sr-009-vs-orpheus-sr-omega-o2s/150

​Would someone please give the detail on how to replace it in Woo Wes?
Eg which ccs I should get (10m90s or other)
Is it just replace choke inductor with ccs or other modification require eg up transformer voltage, replace capacitor or resister etc

Many thank

Nov 29, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #2 of 7
I wouldn't mess with it. 

The choke loaded output stage is neat because the choke can swing above B+ and does not heat up much (compared to a resistor or a CCS).

A CCS can not swing above B+ and will generate a bunch of heat. Both of these problems can be overcome, but you will find the work much easier if you start from nothing and buy parts ideally suited to your task - this will be particularly true when the realities of dealing with the extra heat the CCSs throw off are considered. 

Nov 29, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #3 of 7
X2 for everything in the above post plus a whole lot more. Any CCS will require major heat sinking and ventilation. A CCS will also eat up some of your B+ voltage, most likely throwing off the operating points of your output tubes. You need to know how to set up the CCS for your desired current levels. All this is not a trivial task, and unless you really know what you're doing, may well result in not only butchering your amp, but actually degrading its performance.

If you're interested in this sort of thing, it would be much more practical to start from scratch with something like Spritzers reworked Singlepower ES-1 circuit.

Dec 1, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #4 of 7
what would be very interesting would be to replace the 2 chokes with a center tapped (and gapped) transformer.
Then you really would get a factor of 2 in voltage swing, and a lot lower distortion.

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
what would be very interesting would be to replace the 2 chokes with a center tapped (and gapped) transformer.
Then you really would get a factor of 2 in voltage swing, and a lot lower distortion.

Cary Audio used to make a push/pull 845 amp where the 845's were driven from a pair of push/pull 300B's via an interstage transformer. For unknown reasons, I've had a pair of these interstage transformers in my junk pile for years. Bet they could be used as the basis for an electrostatic amp. Might make an interesting project. I have too many irons in the fire already, but if someone wanted to run with this, I'd consider donating them.

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #7 of 7
4 x 300b into push pull transformers would be very sweet. Also very expensive.

If you happen to have a mcintosh mc240 or much better mc275, you
can put a 16 ohm 20 watt resistor on the output of the transformer, then
wire up the headphones with capacitors to the plates of the 4 output tubes.
And build a simple bias circuit.

Sounds seriously good. The cross coupled cathode thing really works
nicely in this configuration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back