need help: Rega Apollo or DA220?
Jan 27, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by sinbon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cant decide between these two sources, and it does not help I have not heard either. Can anyone offer their opinion on this? Thanks!

Apollo is 900 dollars, stello da 220 is about 1600 ...stello has balanced output...so if you have a balanced amp this would be the way to go...i expect better bass with stello...you also could considder the rega saturn, wich is even better then the apollo and maybe even better then the da220...costs more though about 2200 dollars but some got for 1600 somewhere.

Jan 28, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #3 of 7
I have heard both, and the Stello is quite a bit better than the Apollo.

Jan 29, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigiPete /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Can anyone comment on how it compares to a Rega Saturn? (which can be had for closer to the price of the 220)

And am I correct in understanding that the audio quality of the DA100 is the same as the DA200, and that the only difference is balanced outs and more features on the 220?

Jan 29, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigiPete /img/forum/go_quote.gif

please elaborate a little more.

Jan 29, 2007 at 6:11 AM Post #6 of 7
In terms of the DA220 vs. Apollo, it was a few months ago that DigiPete, myself and 909 got together that we compared them. The DA220 was comprable, if differently flavored than Pete's modded Denon 3910, and both were a bit ahead of the Apollo (weight of notes, and a bit of openness on the high end are what spring to mind as the primary differences). At any rate, the Apollo is a great value as a CDP for the sound quality it offers. I'd imagine the Saturn is probably on the level of the DA220 (but still no balanced output).

Quote:

Originally Posted by HumanMedia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And am I correct in understanding that the audio quality of the DA100 is the same as the DA200, and that the only difference is balanced outs and more features on the 220?

At least in my experience of having the DA100 and DA220 side by side (well on top of each other, really) for a few months, the sound quality is identical, or so close I can't discern the difference with my associated gear.

The practical differences:
The DA220 has 4 upsampling options, the DA100 has two.
The DA220 has AES/EBU and dual coax inputs, the DA100 has USB and dual optical inputs.
The DA220 has a digital output section, the DA100 doesn't.
The DA220 has balanced analog output, the DA100 doesn't.
The DA220 has a phase switch, the DA100 doesn't.
The DA220 is full-rack sized, the DA100 half-rack.

Jan 30, 2007 at 5:20 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In terms of the DA220 vs. Apollo, it was a few months ago that DigiPete, myself and 909 got together that we compared them. The DA220 was comprable, if differently flavored than Pete's modded Denon 3910, and both were a bit ahead of the Apollo (weight of notes, and a bit of openness on the high end are what spring to mind as the primary differences).

It's been a while, but I concur with Iron Dreamer's impressions. The 220 had better dynamics, a bit crisper on the highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back