Need help rectifying unequal cable burn in leading to channel imbalance
Jul 29, 2015 at 1:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Rei87

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys

Just asking what you guys do when you screw up your burn in process (forgetting to ensure a firm connection between the cable and the player), leading to the cable AND IEM to having channel imbalance due to one side being more burnt in than the other since only one side was running. Tests involving the use of said cable on another pair of IEMs, and the IEM being burnt in on a different cable revealed that both cable AND IEM were consistently softer, and lacked transparency compared to the other side. The results were verified by having a friend perform the same same swap test on a friends, using his player as a source to remove the source as a potential issue. 

I have 2 options of rectifying the situation now; 
1) just burn in BOTH sides at the same time and hope they equalize out over time
2) burn in ONLY one side, and keep checking back till it reaches the same transparency and volume as the other.

Which would you suggest and why?

Cheers. 

Jul 29, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #2 of 3
Option 1 is your best bet, since even if burn-in made a significant difference, there's a point where it stops changing. (I'm assuming you heard it when it was new, so you have a better idea of how it sounded before and after. If you didn't hear it beforehand, there is a possibility that the channel imbalance existed already.) If it's your main squeeze (er, headphone), might as well use it normally whenever you want to listen to music or watch videos and so on.

Jul 29, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #3 of 3
  Option 1 is your best bet, since even if burn-in made a significant difference, there's a point where it stops changing. (I'm assuming you heard it when it was new, so you have a better idea of how it sounded before and after. If you didn't hear it beforehand, there is a possibility that the channel imbalance existed already.) If it's your main squeeze (er, headphone), might as well use it normally whenever you want to listen to music or watch videos and so on.

Yup, received the cable almost new, and when I got it it was working fine. Paired it with a unburned in supra thinking that I could burn in both at the same time. But come 2 days later when I did a spot check, I realized that the connection was loose leading to only the left side running, and the right silent. When I took it out and tested it on my main rig, the right side was noticeable softer and was lacking in clarity compared to the left side. So the channel imbalance is definitely due to the unequal burn-in, and affected both the cable and the iem separately. 

I'm going to try running it for a while, probably for 2 weeks or so from now and hope that it equalizes along the way....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back