Need help putting new 3.5mm plug on ER-6i's
Dec 18, 2006 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Superman88

New Head-Fier
I own a pair of ER-6i headphones and recently the left ear went out. I could get it to work when I fiddled with the plug of the headphoens just before where the cord goes in. So, I figured that the problem is the wiring where the headphone jack is.

I cut the end off and bought a 3.5mm jack from radioshack. Pics are below,

I need help as I do not know where to wire this thing up. I have soldering iron ready to go, but need some guidance.

Sorry for being such a noob
cool.gif

Dec 19, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #2 of 3
Tie the grounds (usually colored silver or copper) together and connect to 'C'. The right and left channels (usually colored red and green) go to 'A' and 'B' (one each.) I forget which is left and which is right, you can just touch the wires to them temporarliy and verify which is which.

I believe that Ety IEMs (like most) use enamel insulation, which means that you will have to scrape some of the coloring off of the wires before you will be able to solder to them. You can do this with an X-Acto knife or similar if you are careful.

Dec 19, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tie the grounds (usually colored silver or copper) together and connect to 'C'. The right and left channels (usually colored red and green) go to 'A' and 'B' (one each.) I forget which is left and which is right, you can just touch the wires to them temporarliy and verify which is which.

I believe that Ety IEMs (like most) use enamel insulation, which means that you will have to scrape some of the coloring off of the wires before you will be able to solder to them. You can do this with an X-Acto knife or similar if you are careful.

Or use high grit sandpaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back