Need help purchasing a set of over-ear headphones for mostly electronic music and gaming
Jan 5, 2012 at 1:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

bamboozle

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I'm fairly new to the (good quality) headphone world and I'm interested in purchasing a new pair headphones to use with my pc. My music taste is mostly electronic (although I'm not a basshead) but I also enjoy my fair share of acoustic/rock and live performances. I also require a good sound stage as I play fps games both competitively and non-competitively (this is a deal breaker for me). My source is iTunes playing mostly 320 (although I am building a FLAC library as I speak) through a fiio e7 (as a DAC and amp) and I may purchase an e9 in the future to pair it with if necessary. There are three sets of headphones I have been drawn to in my research so far; grado sr80i, audio technica ATH M50 and audio technica AD700. I would like to stick to a budget of £150 but I can stretch to £200 if I feel it's worth the extra investment. At the moment I am using audio technica ATH pro-5v after a recommendation from a friend and although they are still better than the logitech rubbish I was using before hand, after using another friend's HD650 with a good amp and DAC I felt I had somewhat cheated myself by not spending the time to research properly and make an informed decision. Any advice will be very warmly welcomed and thank you to anyone in advance who provides some usual information for me to use.

Thanks,

Bam

Jan 5, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #2 of 8
Open or closed ?

Jan 5, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #3 of 8
The Sennheiser HD600s are great all-arounders.  Perfect for music, movies, and games.  Balanced and neutral, yet have good bass response, awesome mids, and decent imaging.

Jan 5, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #6 of 8
Beyer DT770s are nice.  They have plenty of "bite" for movies and gaming, yet sound musical for when you want to rock out.

Quote:
Well I would prefer closed I think, the noise leak from open is not an issue but I have some very loud housemates and the less of them i can hear the better.

Jan 5, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
Well I would prefer closed I think, the noise leak from open is not an issue but I have some very loud housemates and the less of them i can hear the better.

Maybe A900, SRH840, D2000, HFi780...very good headphone for the price and for your needs imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back