Need help purchasing a great set of can driven only by iPod/iPad
Jan 2, 2014 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Ethanp00

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a set of over the ear headphones to listen to classic rock, r&b, and rap. I am not an audiophile so I don't know all the lingo! Though I do a fare amount of research when making most all purchases. These cans need a great punchy base and balanced highs, mids, and lows. I don't want to spend over $400. Also these will only be powered b an iPod or iPad. Would an amp purchase make a big difference? If so, please explain which recommendations would require amp use. Thanks in advance for recommendations. I respect what you guys do on here. I have been researching for several weeks and though I've learned a great deal it seems the more I research the more confused I get. Thanks again for any and all help!

Jan 2, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #2 of 15
V-Moda M100. Don't need an amp, and has plenty of bass for your music.

Jan 2, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #3 of 15
Hello,

Some headphones will benefit a lil with an amp while some will largely improve with an amp. There are however, some that does not benefit with an amp at all.

For closed headphone, I recommend the Denon AH-D600 or Philips X1 [with a aftermarket cable] for open headphones

Hope it helps
Billson :)

Jan 2, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #4 of 15
If you would consider in-ear headphones, your requirements match up pretty good with with NAD HD20 headphones. I just bought a pair and they are really good for the money. They do sound better when the upstream equipment improves. But, they would be easy to live with using the iPhone for a long time. 

My experience has been that transducers (speakers/headphones/phono cartridges) make for the most difference in sound quality. Electronics tend to make less dramatic differences. 

Jan 3, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #5 of 15
Thanks for all your input. I have been considering the V-Moda M100 and am also looking at the Sennhieser Momentum and 595's. The OEM has reduced their price to $299 online on the Momentum's. Does anyone know if an amp would improve any of these three mentioned with an Ipod. If so, please make recommendations. Only stipulations are compact size and not to costly. I am willing to pay $50-80 dollars for amp, if necessary. If an amp is not needed to get BEST quality out of any of above please advise. Truth is I want to hear great music but dont want to waste money!

Best regards to all and Happy New Year.

Jan 3, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #6 of 15
  Thanks for all your input. I have been considering the V-Moda M100 and am also looking at the Sennhieser Momentum and 595's. The OEM has reduced their price to $299 online on the Momentum's. Does anyone know if an amp would improve any of these three mentioned with an Ipod. If so, please make recommendations. Only stipulations are compact size and not to costly. I am willing to pay $50-80 dollars for amp, if necessary. If an amp is not needed to get BEST quality out of any of above please advise. Truth is I want to hear great music but dont want to waste money!

Best regards to all and Happy New Year.

Happy new year to you and your family too! xD The Sennheiser HD595 is an open back headphone and it is the least bassy of all. Do benefit with an amp. I would go for the Sennheiser Momentum out of the three. My recommendation is, try the Momentum unamped and see if you like it, if you find there's a few things [not majority] that could be improved further, look into the E07K

Billson :)

Jan 4, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #9 of 15
Just saw a used pr of momentum on eBay. Guy says for persons with big ears these May be an issue. PROBLEM is I have big ears! So, back to the drawing board. I'm looking for an outstanding set of closed back, over the ear headphones, to play many genres of music ( pop, classic rock, and rap). These would be powered by an iPod! I will spend up to $350.00. So if you recommend a pair that requires a potable amp, please state the amp you would use. Thanks!

Jan 4, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #10 of 15
Just saw a used pr of momentum on eBay. Guy says for persons with big ears these May be an issue. PROBLEM is I have big ears! So, back to the drawing board. I'm looking for an outstanding set of closed back, over the ear headphones, to play many genres of music ( pop, classic rock, and rap). These would be powered by an iPod! I will spend up to $350.00. So if you recommend a pair that requires a potable amp, please state the amp you would use. Thanks!

The Denon AH-D600! Check all your needa and does not need an amp :)

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #12 of 15
Hey guys as a Momentum owner I'd definitely endorse them over the M-100s, despite the fact that the M-100s have a bit more bass and cater towards tracks with lots of PRaT.

The Momentum for one is a far more comfortable headphone that the M-100s + the highs and mids offer way more clarity. Its a warm, user-friendly headphone that has a fair amount of bass and does a great job articulating tracks whether its rock, jazz, classical, or electronica.

I listen primarily to classic rock and electronica and the Momentums have served me well.  :)

Momentums > C&C BH2 > stock interconnect (replacing with ALO compact copper 22 this week) > CLAS original > ALO Copper 22 USB LOD > iPod classic 7th generation 120gb > AIFF or 320 kbps files. 

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #13 of 15
How do the denon d600s compare to the Momentums? Anyone know.

IMO, both are bassy, but the D600 have tighter bass, more open sound than the Momentum. :) The D600 is bigger in size, some may find it more transportable than portable 

Hey guys as a Momentum owner I'd definitely endorse them over the M-100s, despite the fact that the M-100s have a bit more bass and cater towards tracks with lots of PRaT.

The Momentum for one is a far more comfortable headphone that the M-100s + the highs and mids offer way more clarity. Its a warm, user-friendly headphone that has a fair amount of bass and does a great job articulating tracks whether its rock, jazz, classical, or electronica.

I listen primarily to classic rock and electronica and the Momentums have served me well.  :)

Momentums > C&C BH2 > stock interconnect (replacing with ALO compact copper 22 this week) > CLAS original > ALO Copper 22 USB LOD > iPod classic 7th generation 120gb > AIFF or 320 kbps files. 

Nice rig!!! xD

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #14 of 15
Thanks :) it'll serve me well while I save up the $$ for the ALO Rx Mk3s and an 'end game' pair of closed-back cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back