Need help please on amps from an Audigy driving DT880
Nov 3, 2005 at 7:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Spacko

100+ Head-Fier
Well i recently got some DT880, and i want an amp because i cant help but feel as if theres a veil holding back the mids and bass.

I've done some research but im still not sure what i should do.

Please note that the sound card i have is a plain old Audigy, not Audigy 2. I was looking into whether i would need to get a DAC too, as well as just an amp. Will i need to? This brought me across to the micro dac and micro amp but the combonation is far too expensive. I'm aiming to spend $250.

Thanks.

Nov 3, 2005 at 8:37 AM Post #2 of 9
ha2mk2sephone480.jpg

http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de

Nov 3, 2005 at 9:41 AM Post #3 of 9
fjf -- that's a $945 amp, is it not? Sure wish I could afford stuff in that price range, looks really sweet... I'm gonna be limited to a Go-Vibe for awhile after this DT880 purchase (luckily they're extraordinarily dynamic and clean sounding amps for the price).

Nov 3, 2005 at 10:58 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spacko
Well i recently got some DT880, and i want an amp because i cant help but feel as if theres a veil holding back the mids and bass.

I've done some research but im still not sure what i should do.

Please note that the sound card i have is a plain old Audigy, not Audigy 2. I was looking into whether i would need to get a DAC too, as well as just an amp. Will i need to? This brought me across to the micro dac and micro amp but the combonation is far too expensive. I'm aiming to spend $250.

Thanks.

You'd want to have a look at www.firestone-audio.com. They have headphone amps and a DAC both priced very sensibly. I'm pondering to buy either a Cute Beyond or a Headroom Micro Amp for my Senns myself.

Nov 3, 2005 at 11:03 AM Post #6 of 9
I wonder what kind of parts quality Firestone used in the Cutes... they look pretty nice.

Nov 3, 2005 at 11:11 AM Post #7 of 9
Seemingly all good stuff: the capacitors in the portable version of the amp are red with golden prints like the Elna Cerafine are, and those in the Beyond look like Elna Silmic (at least the smaller, faster ones near the power stage). The pcb looks very professionally designed, with a full ground plane. The rest of parts (resistors, bypass caps) are on the lower side, and about them, obviously, we can have no clue. The Beyond includes a TL072 opamp (besides the OPA2227) that I suppose is used either to eliminate DC offset or to make a constant current source to bias the OPA into class A.

Nov 3, 2005 at 2:33 PM Post #8 of 9
The problem in the old europe is dealing with customs. If you the seller doesn't send the equipment properly, the box can be stored somewhere in the border and you never get to see it. If that happens on something you have already paid and cannot locate, is not funny. Last year I bought in amazon.com a computer program (1 CD) and never got to see it. Fortunately, amazon has a good customer service and they returned the money back to me. That's why I prefer purchasing within custom borders, not because I have anything against chinese or american amps.

Nov 4, 2005 at 9:46 AM Post #9 of 9
so would it be best for me to buy an amplifier and not a DAC with it? Whats the difference between the meier one and the firestore one? Has anyone tried both?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back