Need help picking over the ear headphones.
Jul 23, 2014 at 5:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

chlutz214

New Head-Fier
So, im looking for a good pair of headphones.

Recently my logitech g930's broke where the ear cups connect to the band... On both sides... Aside from the fact that they literally fell apart in my hands i liked them. Was only really disappointed in the fact that i could only use them on my pc.

Budget: ~$300

Useage:
-Computer Gaming
-TV/movies
-music (mostly metal/rock, some rap & some country)
-Home & away

Would be nice (prefered but not required):
-bluetooth or other wireless that can be connected to comp, phone, and an av reciever.
-Detachable 3.5mm cable
-Portable
-Not too ugly (will wear in public)
-Replacable ear pads
-Microphone (voice chat for gaming)
-Some isolation (any outside noise reduction is a + but not important.)

Requirements:
-Good overall sound quality.
-High build quality (sturdy, not easily broken)
-Circumural / over the ears
-IF wireless- must be rechargable or accept rechargable batteries.
-Comfortable (will wear for 12+ hours straight, often)
-Decent bass (good sound quality is more important, but weak bass is a problem.)
-Loudness (should be good ~ 50% and LOUD at 100)

Other than the above i dont care much. If an external amp is required (or preferred) thats fine, just please note it. I will be taking these everywhere, but i dont care if the whole world can hear whats on, quality over all else.

Ive been looking at the sony mdr-r1/r1bt and logitech ue 9000, but there are soooo many options it is hard to good current information.

Jul 23, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #3 of 6
I will take a look at those.

The headphones are the important part. I wont be using it for phone calls, just computer voice chat which i can just as easily use a seperate mic for.

As for open/closed, im open to any of them, whichever one seems best and fits my requirements will work for me.

Jul 23, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #4 of 6
So from what i read about the nad viso that room feel tech appears to be nice. Has anyone here used this with pc games? If so does it work well for determining positions through sound? I feel like it is either amazing for gaming or horrible...

As for the others nytkim suggested, they appear to be good too, but they are much cheaper. For the price diferance i feel like the ath m50x might be a better deal than the nad viso. Any input?

Jul 24, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #5 of 6
From what I hear, the ATH M50 is accurate but has no soundstage at all, meaning you would be able to easily recognize footsteps and tell where they are coming from, but not how far away they are. The M50x is more portable than the M50. Some find it very comfortable and can wear it for hours while others can't stand it for 20 minutes.

The Nad Viso HP50 is an all-around portable headphone that would meet most of your requirements. The cons are the price ($299) and the comfort, since some people have troubles with the ear pads and/or the headband. Also, the headband reminds Boris Karloff's Frankenstein square head.

The Soundmagic HP100 (closed) and the HP200 (open) are used by some head-fi users for gaming. Its said to have a good bass and the new HP150 (closed) seems to be more bass focused than the HP100. They are very comfortable, having a good sounstage (since the HP200 is open, it has a better soundstage than the HP100) and they are much more accurate than something like the DT 770. This headphone is bigger than the others, but comes with a hard case and a detachable cable, which makes it somehow portable. It is easy to drive, but would benefit from an amp. Since they cost $199, you would have $100 for an amp. The cons? It has an analytical sound, which some can find boring. Also, they are not very realiable, since there have been reports like one ear being quieter than the other. Of course, this can happen to any headphone, but it seems more common with these.

There is also the AKG K550. Its accurate and has a very good sounstage for a closed headphone. It's big, but it's foldable. Can be used without an amp. The cons? Some have problems to make it fit, particulary those with a small head. Some find its bass rather weak.

Jul 24, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #6 of 6
Its said to have a good bass and the new HP150 (closed) seems to be more bass focused than the HP100.

Probably not the case. The frequency response chart on the HP150 box appears to be exactly the same as the HP100 box. Both should probably preform similarly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back