Need help picking out my first DAC to pair with Audioengine A2ʻs
Oct 7, 2013 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Dakine234

New Head-Fier
Aloha and thanks in advance for the help!  Im very new to all the additional equipment aside from just the computer to speaker setup and will gladly take any tips and advice you have to offer.  I realize there is probably a thread on here thats asking the same or a similar question, but i have yet to find it, if you have a link please let me know!

I recently ordered a pair of audioengine A2 and am looking into a DAC/headphone amp combo, i have read a decent amount and currently looking at the audioengine D1 and the Topping TP30.  My intended us is just listening to music through my speakers and headphones, no recording or anything fancy.  I plan to connect the DAC to my macbook via usb, and from there to my A2ʻs via RCA while also having a headphone jack and volume control on the front of the DAC.  If you have any feedback on either DAC (already paired with A2ʻs would be ideal) or have another setup in mind for a price point of around $180 please let me know! 

Oct 8, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #2 of 5
The Topping TP30 is a t-amp with a DAC. So you would be paying for passive speaker amplifier capability, which is a substantial amount of what they are charging you for (it's ~ $75 without the DAC).

However, if you went with the TP30, you could do better than the Audioengine A2s for less money. The Cambridge Audio 30s are currently on closeout at accessories4less.com (new model coming out). Much better speaker than the A2s.

Oct 8, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the info, i ended up picking the Schiit Magni/Modi combo from the buy/sell thread after talking with a couple people on the forum, it seems like that would make the most since for me and my intended use.  Kinda wish i saw these earlier, i assumed they were bigger speakers but there size is quite similar to the A2ʻs.  I got the A2ʻs on amazon so i might just give em a try and can always return them.  When you say better speakers, do you mean overall or mainly in terms of bass (ive heard the A2ʻs lack there)

Oct 8, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #4 of 5
The S30s are a different class of speaker overall, and certainly are much better in the bass department. But they do have to have an amp to power them.

Oct 8, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #5 of 5
Oh i see, that makes since, definately a nice set of very nicely sized speakers.  Thanks for the info, learning a LOT on this forum haha, and theres a lot of eye candy.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back