Need help picking out a DAC with 'true balanced' output...
Mar 6, 2006 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

philodox

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,

Well, I am still strongly considering the Lavry Black as it seems to be a perfect solution for my needs. I will be using a Slimdevices Squeezebox to feed it and initially will drive my HF-1's from the headphone output and my balanced K340's from the XLR outputs. Now, the QC issues that are being discussed on the Lavry forums combined with Ori's recent review that seem to be giving the nodd towards the Zhaolu have me concerned. What I'm wondering, is there any similar DAC's out there that I may want to consider?

Things that I need:
- True balanced output. No generating inverse phase after the output stage.
- Decent built in headphone amp for low impedance headphones.
- SPDIF input [coaxial]

Things that would be nice:
- Discrete amplification [This almost made it to the need category]
- No opamps or caps in the signal path [Ditto]
- Great built in headphone amp for low impedance headphones.
- USB input
- Volume control

My budget is $1000, though if it cost less that would be great.

To give you an idea of the sound I like, I love the Eastsound, wasn't too impressed with the DAC1, and am absolutely crazy about the top end Wadia gear.

Thanks in advance,

Jason
340smile.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #2 of 9
AQVOX USB2DA. http://www.aqvox.de/ Same dac i was considering before got my modded diyeden great-march since i dont need volume control or headphone output that aqvox has
smily_headphones1.gif
They use 1% resistors.. my dac uses 0.5% but aqvox has no op amps etc so its probably better.

Actually i am not sure about aqvox headphone output quality.. Its only dac beside zhalou or lavry that comes to mind as recommended here.

Mar 6, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by jriihi
AQVOX USB2DA. http://www.aqvox.de/ Same dac i was considering before got my modded diyeden great-march since i dont need volume control or headphone output that aqvox has
smily_headphones1.gif
They use 1% resistors.. my dac uses 0.5% but aqvox has no op amps etc so its probably better.

Actually i am not sure about aqvox headphone output quality.. Its only dac beside zhalou or lavry that comes to mind as recommended here.

The Aqvox's headphone output only works with the USB input, and the sound quality is less than impressive. It also doesn't have volume control on the DAC outputs. I don't think its' really what Philo is looking for.

Mar 6, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 9
True enough... hmmm, it's looking more and more like the Lavry is the only fit.

Mar 6, 2006 at 8:52 PM Post #5 of 9
Personally I think the Lavry is a no-brainer especially considering your requirements, if I didn't have to sell my GS-1 to get one I'd be on that bandwagon in second.

Mar 6, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks man... I think I need to learn to trust my first gut instinct. It is usually right. I changed the tube amp I was going to build at the last minute and that did not turn out well. Now that I've exhausted all options with it I am going back and building what I was going to originally [the bamaslama].
rolleyes.gif

Don Quichotte - I considered it... but it looks kind of, well, 'dinky'. Do you have one? What do you think of it?

Jan 10, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #9 of 9
I have no idea about all your requirements as far as design goes. Not sure if the geshelli labs enog2 pro dac will work

Users who are viewing this thread

Back