Need help picking first good headphones
Sep 4, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #16 of 36
Quote:
I don't go on a lot of recommendation threads nowadays, but about 20-30% of the time I do somebody's starting to be mislead.

I've seen this too, and it really is a tragedy waiting to happen.

I think that some people just have a hard time keeping their trap shut.  You know that rule we have about not recommending stuff we don't have experience with?  I always understood that to mean that if we don't have a suitable recommendation (based on ownership or experience), we shouldn't give one at all.

Apparently, some people think that it means something entirely different...  that we should just go ahead and recommend whatever the eff we happen to have, whether it fits or not, simply for the sake of making a recommendation.

Sep 4, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #17 of 36
The Jaycar Pro Monitor/Brainwavz HM5 sound perfect for you, but they seem to be out of stock everywhere. Does anyone know what's going on with them?

Not sure if you're located in the UK or not, but if you are there's another version of the headphones called "Lindy Premium Hi-Fi".

Sep 5, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #18 of 36
After gathering responses from this thread so far I've gotten 5 or so headphones that a lot of people are recommending
Sony MDR-V6
Sony MDR- MDRZX700
Sennheiser 419
Sennheiser 428
Sennheiser 429
Brainwavz HM5

I've also decided to consider choosing the Superlux 668B although those are semi-open I've heard that they isolate more than usual.I'm leaning more towards the V6 or the Superlux's. I've never seen a bad review for either, they are both in my price range, and they both look pretty cool IMO. Any other comments feel free to let me know . Also if there is a reason why either of those two are bad choices for me let me know. Thanks for helping me out, best forum I've been to so far.

Sep 5, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #19 of 36
Quote:
After gathering responses from this thread so far I've gotten 5 or so headphones that a lot of people are recommending
Sony MDR-V6
Sony MDR- MDRZX700
Sennheiser 419
Sennheiser 428
Sennheiser 429
Brainwavz HM5

I've also decided to consider choosing the Superlux 668B although those are semi-open I've heard that they isolate more than usual.I'm leaning more towards the V6 or the Superlux's. I've never seen a bad review for either, they are both in my price range, and they both look pretty cool IMO. Any other comments feel free to let me know . Also if there is a reason why either of those two are bad choices for me let me know. Thanks for helping me out, best forum I've been to so far.

I've never heard of the XZ700, but I consider the XB700 to be better than the V6. I would just stay away from all open or semi-open headphones if you plan on using them at a library. The level of isolation might be acceptable for home usage, but I wouldn't trust anything other than a closed headphone for somewhere as quiet as a library (accept IEMs, but I get the idea you want something full-size).

The biggest problem is playing classical well, because it's hard to find a spacious sounding headphone under $100, and even harder to find one with good isolation. Isolation aside, I think the 668B is your best choice.

Sep 5, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #20 of 36
The XZ700 were actually introduced to me in this thread. I think one of the first two or three posts. I had never heard of them either. But they look pretty cool and a lot of reviewers say the headphones sound very smooth, which interested me.

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #21 of 36
Quote:
The Jaycar Pro Monitor/Brainwavz HM5 sound perfect for you, but they seem to be out of stock everywhere. Does anyone know what's going on with them?

Not sure if you're located in the UK or not, but if you are there's another version of the headphones called "Lindy Premium Hi-Fi".

The HM5 has an incredibly long cable, and even the Jaycar versions were $75. That violates two of the OP's main needs.

Sep 7, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

The HM5 comes with 1.2m and 3m cables.

I stand corrected if that's true. My FA-003 R2 only came with one long cable.

Sep 8, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #24 of 36
I've changed my mind and I think I am going to upgrade my budget to about $160 or so I still want have the same criteria (good at rock, shorter cable etc, see first post). How are the m50's? Or the SRH 440's again any and all help is much appreciated.

Sep 8, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #25 of 36
At your original price point you may want to consider the Sennheiser PX-200 II - they're small very portable headphones with a short cable, also available with a microphone (PX-200 IIi). For their size they sound stunning and while there's certainly headphones with better sound isolation, but they do a fairly good job at it (they're closed). I also found them to be very comfortable despite being on-ear types, they're very light on the preasure and the pads themselves are very nice. But most important of all they sound pretty damn good with many types of music and rock a fair bit :wink: (and this is coming from somone who owns both a Grado PS500 and an LCD-2).

I've recently ordered a pair of KRK SN8400 (for very similar reasons as you mention, cable on those is longer but is replaceable and I think they do offer shorter versions), I can't really comment on it just yet as I'm still waiting for it to be delivered - that one would be in the 160$ price region.

Sep 8, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #26 of 36
Quote:
I've changed my mind and I think I am going to upgrade my budget to about $160 or so I still want have the same criteria (good at rock, shorter cable etc, see first post). How are the m50's? Or the SRH 440's again any and all help is much appreciated.

Oh now it's a whole different ball game.  Man, where is MalVeauX when you need him? 
smile.gif

Sep 9, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #28 of 36
Quote:

With their recessed mids, the M50 is lousy for classical.

The two best in your new price class for the needs you stated are the Shure SRH 840 and KRK KNS 8400.  Both have removable and replaceable cables.

Sep 9, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #29 of 36
I concur with the KNS8400. It's got tons of detail and is fast enough for heavily layered rock, as well as being flat enough for classical.

Sep 9, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #30 of 36
+1 on the KNS 8400   I am listening to them now .......Classical at the moment good sound stage  they do need a decent dedicated sound card or headphone amp to enjoy their potential .
not for a portable they will work but cord is way long for that and they won't be at their best there . They are studio phones and voiced much like KRK studio  moniters .
Other pair are senn HD 280 if you have a BB or guitar center see if you can listen to a few . The KRK's are very revealing can sound very good or very bad depending on what you feed them . I'm also thinking of buying Shure SRH 840 to add to my set. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back