Need help picking between the akg K240 studio, akg K240 mkii, and akg k271 mkii
Jan 12, 2014 at 9:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Lawless Asian

New Head-Fier
So I have been lurking these forums for a while and I finally decided to make an account so I can ask this question, currently I have the Sony MDR-XB500, I really like them but they sound a bit muddy to me. My price range is $150 - $200 and I live in Canada, the music I listen to are jazz, pop, and some classical music every once in a while. I have been eyeing the akg K240 studio, akg K240 mkii, and akg k271 mkii. If you could recommend me a better pair or help me narrow down my list that would help a lot. 

Edit: I forgot to mention that the reason I like the Xb500 so much is that they have a nice warm sound, a recently bought a pair of hd 380 pro, they sounded crisp but did not have the nice warm sound so I returned them.

Jan 12, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #4 of 5
The K240 are semi-open and the K271 is closed. Does that matter for your application? I really don't know what the difference is between the various iterations of of K240. AKG has some of the most confusing model numbers! Here's a tip for mfrs: If the product is different, do NOT give it the same d@mn model number!! :rolleyes:

Jan 12, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #5 of 5
The K240 are semi-open and the K271 is closed. Does that matter for your application? I really don't know what the difference is between the various iterations of of K240. AKG has some of the most confusing model numbers! Here's a tip for mfrs: If the product is different, do NOT give it the same d@mn model number!!
rolleyes.gif

Na the semi-open vs closed does not matter to me, with my current cans I can hear everything around me up to a certain volume, and my family can hear my music as well so semi-open shouldn't be a problem. My main question right now is how different are the k240 studio and the k240 mkii? I heard that the velour pads can make a difference. My though is if I go with the k240 studio right now I will buy a custom short cable so I don't have this 10' cable to hide, if I go with the other two I will eventually get the short cable later. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back