Need help picking an amp to drive Beyer Dynamic DT 880 Premium 600 OHM
Nov 23, 2010 at 11:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

caanh14

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, so I think I have decided on getting the Beyerdynamic DT 880 premium 600 ohm, however I could get the 250 ohm. But I i would be convinced that these are not the right pick I would get the AKG K702, or the Denon D2000. But what I am asking is what amp would be best to power these headphones decently. My budget is about $150, but i could be able to go a little bit more maybe.
My most listened to music genres are mostly Alternative, and Hip-Hop/ Rap.

From what I have heard I would need a tube amp to power the DT880, is this true? Also I am looking to play music from my computer so would I need a DAC as well? Last thing, is the FiiO E7 a good DAC/AMP?
transparent-pixel._V192551059_.gif

Nov 25, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #4 of 11
I have the dt880/600's and use a little dot mkiv amp. This combo is amazing in everyway and seemed to be a very well respected combo. The mkii is priced at $140 and the mkiii is priced at $195 and either would also do a wonderful job with the 600ohm version and imho would be a no brainer given the cans you want the price point you are at.

-Chris

Nov 25, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #5 of 11
I have DT990s (600 ohm) and the LD MKIII combo, it is awesome.  Drives them to a good loud listening point at about 12 o'clock for me in the recommended high impedance gain setting.  Oh yeah, and its a great sounding amp/headphone combo.

Nov 25, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #7 of 11
That would be a great amp to pair with those cans.

You can absolutly connect your laptop directly to the amp however the best setup would be to use a DAC in between. You will need to have a digitial line out on the laptop in order for that to benefit you however.  If your laptop does not have this there are ways that it can be added.  There are some nice external sound options that can add a digitial line out.

If you have previously been using the latop only then the addition of the little dot mkii will be lightyears ahead of where you are.

-Chris

Nov 27, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #8 of 11
Due to budget problems i think I need to scale down a little in price, can anyone recommend some good headphones that are not too big, good for hip hop/rock, and are less than $250? I am looking at the Denon AH-D2000 but they are huge, also the ATH-ESW9 seem good.

Nov 27, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:

You can absolutly connect your laptop directly to the amp however the best setup would be to use a DAC in between. You will need to have a digitial line out on the laptop in order for that to benefit you however.  If your laptop does not have this there are ways that it can be added.
-Chris

There are a number of DACs which connect to a USB port and are recognized by the computer OS as a sound device, so that's another option when the time comes to get a DAC.
IMO, first- headphones, next-amp, then DAC, as others have suggested.
Oh, and to answer an earlier question: No, you don't need a tube amp to drive any of the phones being discussed here.
John

Nov 28, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
Due to budget problems i think I need to scale down a little in price, can anyone recommend some good headphones that are not too big, good for hip hop/rock, and are less than $250? I am looking at the Denon AH-D2000 but they are huge, also the ATH-ESW9 seem good.

Amazon has the 250ohm DT880 for $235 and Musicians Friend has it for $223. You could also check out the DT150, there are only few threads about them, but i would still suggest checking the impressions out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back