Need help picking an amp for my new headphones
May 4, 2013 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

jloew05

New Head-Fier
just purchased the brainwavz hm5 headphones.  Looking at getting a portable amp to use with my ipod and whatever else i will use to listen to music.  What would everyone recommend.  I would like to stay under a 100 and cheaper is better as long as i dont sacrifice quality.  I would also be into looking at a new player that has a built in amp if that is possible i would extend what im willing to spend.  The amp i was thinking about is the fiio e6 but i was not sure how well it would work.

May 4, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #2 of 46
E6 is a cheap fix.
The first venturecraft godap goes for the same price now is better (amazon).
Or fiioE11 or cmoyBB(i havent hear the bb but have another type cmoy).

And you would need a LOD like the fiioL9.

(The above is true if you dont own the latest nano or ipod touch 5g).

May 4, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #3 of 46
The JDS Labs cMoybb 2.03 is a bargain at 65.00 or so.
If you want a different form factor, the FiiO E12 can be had
for a bit over $100.  Look to the many reviews for advice on
SQ; I happen to have both for different purposes i.e. the E12
"travels" better.  To me, they sound different and I like both.

May 4, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #4 of 46
I have an older i believe 2nd or 3rd gen ipod classic if that matters.  And will i see a difference on the hm5s with one of these?  I want the smallest footprint i can get that is why i was looking at the e6 bit if its not that good i would go with something else like the e11 if its that much of a difference.

May 4, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #5 of 46
I was also looking at that venturecraft go dap and it has a built in spot for the iphone can that be removed because if its better i might get something like that.  And with any of these will i notice the difference as i am no audiophile at least not yet.

May 4, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #6 of 46
The original godap now for about usa $20 was made for the iphone 3. You could probably squeeze a touch in there with a bit of cardboard for fit.
Maybe check /post in the old godap thread first and check.it would be better than fiio e6.

May 5, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #8 of 46
I'm not familiar with that generation of iPod classic.

What I can say is that IMO the cMoy is a nicer sounding
amp than the E11.  Depending on where you listen,
the kinds of files you listen to, and other variables,
the cMoy's better SQ might not be worth as much
as the E11's smaller footprint.

May 5, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #10 of 46
Or would i get better results with a dac if they make a portable one or a different source unit? I am thinking about waiting for the fiio x3 if its worth it and getting rid of the ipod.

May 5, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #11 of 46
Quote:
its one of the original ipods.  Also lets go with this what would be the best portable amp i could get under 100?  The smaller the better.

There's a useful thread, I can't seem to locate it at the moment (4:37AM lol) - 
10 best portable amps under $100.  

It''s pretty recent and I think has the kind of info you're looking for.
There's another thread for portable amps under $200.

IIRC the JDS Labs Objective 2 was the reference amp
It's $144.00 and a stellar value, though not truly "portable".

For just a bit over $100.00 I like the Fiio E12.

Otherwise I'd go with the cMoy2.03BB I mentioned above.

May 5, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #12 of 46
Quote:
just purchased the brainwavz hm5 headphones.  Looking at getting a portable amp to use with my ipod and whatever else i will use to listen to music.  What would everyone recommend.  I would like to stay under a 100 and cheaper is better as long as i dont sacrifice quality.  I would also be into looking at a new player that has a built in amp if that is possible i would extend what im willing to spend.  The amp i was thinking about is the fiio e6 but i was not sure how well it would work.

Dude, the fiio E6 is a GREAT pick! I was very skeptical about whether an amp could make a noticeable, much less significant difference. I wasn't willing to invest more than $30 to start, so an E6 it was. 

I was literally shocked by how much of a difference the E6 makes. I used them with my jvc harx 700's to start. After a few seconds of listening, I literally took my headphones off, to look at them, as in 'are these the same headphones?.' I was taken aback by how much the sound had improved. I noticed immediately that the high frequencies were clearer. I then noticed that there was more and clearer bass. The midrange sounded far better and more realistic as well.

I pulled out a sound meter and also checked the volume on the player. I was listening at the same volume as before. Every part of audio spectrum sounds better. The sound signature is far more realistic. 

What's nice is that just about every pair of headphones I try is transformed in this way. It's amazing how much performance I've been able to extract from some VERY low cost audio equipment. 

Here's a tip: do some extended listening WITHOUT the fiio amp first. Familiarize yourself with the sound without an amp first. Only then try the amp. 

May 5, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #13 of 46
Thanks for the info i will be listening a lot before i make the purchase im not in any big hurry to get anything.  I would like to know if something like the fiio x3 when it comes out would be better money spent since it will have everything built in.
I also like the idea of the cmoy amp but im not a fan of the case it comes in.

May 5, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #14 of 46
I'd wait for the X3, it will be a lot more functional than your current iPod, more formats, better sound, uSD card... Better choice.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back